Coconut oil free Shampoo

Discussion in 'Liquid Soap and Cream Soap Forum' started by melinda48, Oct 13, 2019.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

1. Oct 22, 2019 #21

Dawni

Dawni

Dawni

*whistles like my grandpa used to*

LOL

I wish I looked as good when I was 29... Hair n all haha.

I know I've said it somewhere that my hair likes syndets but my scalp doesn't, and my scalp likes lye based shampoo but my hair doesn't. I have tried both lye shampoo and syndets with and without coconut oil and the results are the same as stated above.

Testing has taken its toll on both my scalp n my hair and I'm still not entirely happy with the one I've settled for now. Of course, it could also be many other factors.. Age, nutrition, sleep, environmental changes, etc..

@melinda48 was your customer asking for commercially available products or asking you to make shampoo for her? Did she want a solid one? I am sure there are lots of shampoos out there without coconut oil though I can't say what could be available to you/her - - - apparently there aren't so many completely coconut free

Edited above and to add:
    I realized I focused only on coconut oil and only now remembered that a lot of syndets use coconut derived surfactants, which could be a problem also.

I tried trusty ole Google and this brand seems to pop up often enough. I'm still reading ingredients lists but the Pine Shale one seems to be coconut free. This one is also coconut free but they're in the UK. These are labeled as hair washes and the first two are coconut free, not done reading yet.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
  2. Oct 22, 2019 #22

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier

Aw, those were the days, @Millie... so young and clueless about what lies ahead. As we all know, Life has a mind of its own. :confused:

BTW, my brother-the-doctor and amateur portrait photographer took that candid shot unbeknownst to me while we were visiting him and his family in Honolulu in 1972. It's my favorite picture of me. Sadly, we lost Dr. Tim to a fatal heart attack a month ago at age 78. He was a good man, excellent physician -- but a terrible tease! We all miss him.

3. Oct 22, 2019 #23

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier

Have you tried using straight Polysorbate 80?

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/fun-with-polysorbate-80.69670/

ETA: I'm wondering if you have "black hair?" i.e. if you wanted to straighten it the hairdresser would use lye to do that. If so, I can't help you there. But there are a few places on line that discuss the problems and offer solutions for black hair, such as, of all things, using coconut oil straight as a conditioner. :)

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
  4. Oct 22, 2019 #24

Millie

Millie

Millie

@Zany_in_CO I'm sorry for your loss. He sounds like a wonderful brother!

Zany_in_CO likes this.
  5. Oct 23, 2019 #25

Dahila

Dahila

Dahila

yeah you look at this pick like MM , beautiful

Zany_in_CO likes this.