Coconut oil free Shampoo

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
*whistles like my grandpa used to*

LOL

I wish I looked as good when I was 29... Hair n all haha.

I know I've said it somewhere that my hair likes syndets but my scalp doesn't, and my scalp likes lye based shampoo but my hair doesn't. I have tried both lye shampoo and syndets with and without coconut oil and the results are the same as stated above.

Testing has taken its toll on both my scalp n my hair and I'm still not entirely happy with the one I've settled for now. Of course, it could also be many other factors.. Age, nutrition, sleep, environmental changes, etc..

@melinda48 was your customer asking for commercially available products or asking you to make shampoo for her? Did she want a solid one? I am sure there are lots of shampoos out there without coconut oil though I can't say what could be available to you/her - - - apparently there aren't so many completely coconut free

Edited above and to add:
I realized I focused only on coconut oil and only now remembered that a lot of syndets use coconut derived surfactants, which could be a problem also.

I tried trusty ole Google and this brand seems to pop up often enough. I'm still reading ingredients lists but the Pine Shale one seems to be coconut free. This one is also coconut free but they're in the UK. These are labeled as hair washes and the first two are coconut free, not done reading yet.

Last edited:
Aw, those were the days, @Millie... so young and clueless about what lies ahead. As we all know, Life has a mind of its own. :confused:

BTW, my brother-the-doctor and amateur portrait photographer took that candid shot unbeknownst to me while we were visiting him and his family in Honolulu in 1972. It's my favorite picture of me. Sadly, we lost Dr. Tim to a fatal heart attack a month ago at age 78. He was a good man, excellent physician -- but a terrible tease! We all miss him.

I know I've said it somewhere that my hair likes syndets but my scalp doesn't, and my scalp likes lye based shampoo but my hair doesn't.
Have you tried using straight Polysorbate 80?

Fun With Polysorbate 80

ETA: I'm wondering if you have "black hair?" i.e. if you wanted to straighten it the hairdresser would use lye to do that. If so, I can't help you there. But there are a few places on line that discuss the problems and offer solutions for black hair, such as, of all things, using coconut oil straight as a conditioner. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I was at a show yesterday and had a customer who is allergic to coconut oil ask if there are any shampoo products without put coconut oil. I told her that I would ask here as I do not make other than cp soap and lotion bars.

So, my question is: can anyone recommend coconut oil-free shampooing products?

Many thanks!
M
I am allergic, too. Finding shampoo has not been possible so I have been using an olive oil hand soap. My scalp is almost itch free but my hair is not particularly pretty.

I am going to try the Palestinian soap that is 100% olive oil (in a bar) for shampooing soon as it arrives. My poor hair has been stripped by harsh soaps for years. I have not read any reviews of people using that soap for hair, but many reviews speak of how softening and conditioning it is to the skin (and helpful especially to those who suffer from eczema and certain allergies).

why would you put coconut in Shampoo???
Because it is in every shampoo and laundry detergent I've researched including natural,,, healthy... pure...etc. brands. I am washing my hair with an olive oil bar made by a friend.. my hair is not shiny or healthy looking.
Do you have a recipe I might try? Just bye the bye.. I don't do lye.

I am going to try the Palestinian soap that is 100% olive oil (in a bar) for shampooing soon as it arrives. My poor hair has been stripped by harsh soaps for years. I have not read any reviews of people using that soap for hair, but many reviews speak of how softening and conditioning it is to the skin (and helpful especially to those who suffer from eczema and certain allergies).
I am using 100% olive oil and it's better than the itchy scalp left by shampoo with coconut under one of its many names. My hair doesn't look great.

There are so many threads here at SMF about shampoo bars, and loads of responses from members to those threads. The majority of responses I have read from others who used lye soap shampoos experienced extreme damage, including me. A few, one in particular, @Zany_in_CO, have positive experiences with lye soap shampoo. So perhaps if you search for posts on shampoo bars and read as much as you can within those threads, you may find some very helpful information in your search.

I will include links below for 3 of the many threads, but there are many more.

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/shampoo-bars.68585/
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/thr...-between-shampoo-bars-and-regular-bars.45868/
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/shampoo-bars-again.64936/

...Just bye the bye.. I don't do lye.

I'm confused. You are asking for a soap recipe but you are also saying you don't "do lye". So how do you propose to make soap from olive oil, coconut oil, or any other fat?

The only way I know of to make soap is to use lye, which is usually sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide.

I might well be missing your point, however, so would you please explain more?

There are so many threads here at SMF about shampoo bars, and loads of responses from members to those threads. The majority of responses I have read from others who used lye soap shampoos experienced extreme damage, including me. A few, one in particular, @Zany_in_CO, have positive experiences with lye soap shampoo. So perhaps if you search for posts on shampoo bars and read as much as you can within those threads, you may find some very helpful information in your search.

I will include links below for 3 of the many threads, but there are many more.

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/shampoo-bars.68585/
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/thr...-between-shampoo-bars-and-regular-bars.45868/
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/shampoo-bars-again.64936/
thank you, so much for your reply DeeAnna.

I'm confused. You are asking for a soap recipe but you are also saying you don't "do lye". So how do you propose to make soap from olive oil, coconut oil, or any other fat?

The only way I know of to make soap is to use lye, which is usually sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide.

I might well be missing your point, however, so would you please explain more?

Very new to this soap making. I do not know the basics and, as I am quite disturbed, research is not easy. There's a lot of conflicting information out there. Frankly I am afraid to use lye.

Because it is in every shampoo and laundry detergent I've researched including natural,,, healthy... pure...etc. brands. I am washing my hair with an olive oil bar made by a friend.. my hair is not shiny or healthy looking.
Do you have a recipe I might try? Just bye the bye.. I don't do lye.
natural yes, healthy on the frying pan, I react bad to coconut in any product. Shampoo is not a soap

Latest posts

Back