Coconut and oatmeal

Discussion in 'Recipe Feedback' started by Alfa_Lazcares, Jun 11, 2018.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Jun 11, 2018 #1

Alfa_Lazcares

Alfa_Lazcares

Alfa_Lazcares

Hello! So my best friend learned that i am making soaps so he instantly told me that he would like me to make a coconut and oatmeal soap for him. Now, i know he doesnt know anything about soaps so i asked him why he wants a coconut and oatmeal soap and he basically just said that cococut and oatmeal are good for the skin.

So, since i am just experimenting with soap since i am new i thought about making what he wants. So i am thinking on something like this:

Ground oatmeal with water and use the water for the lye and the ground oatmeal as an additive in the batter.

Use 100% coconut oil with a 20% SF.

Or, same thing with the oatmeal but use lard with the coconut. So something like 30% coconut 70% lard and 10% SF. Or maybe 25% coconut, 70% lard and 5% castor oil with a 5% SF.

What do you guys think? Specially for the second. I am unsure on the superfat.
    Thanks for any advise!

2. Jun 11, 2018 #2

The Efficacious Gentleman

Lifetime Supporter

I think that you would better off letting him know that coconut oil and saponified coconut oil are very different beasts. I would look to make a regular recipe with oatmeal instead of the 100% co bar.

Alfa_Lazcares and Sandra@SS like this.
  3. Jun 11, 2018 #3

Sandra@SS

Sandra@SS

Sandra@SS

what about a coarse ground oatmeal and coconut flour CP.
    I have had success with coarse ground oatmeal soap in a Honey and Oatmeal Bar.

Alfa_Lazcares likes this.
  4. Jun 11, 2018 #4

shunt2011

shunt2011

shunt2011

Staff Member Admin  

I agree with TEG. A well balanced bar (Your lard, CO, Castor) with finely ground oatmeal would be nice. Don't make it too course as then it's really scrubby and rather uncomfortable to use. You could soak your ground oats in water then add the oats into the batter. I've not done that myself though. I generally just add the finely ground oatmeal to my oils before my lye/milk mixture.

Alfa_Lazcares likes this.
  5. Jun 11, 2018 #5

Alfa_Lazcares

Alfa_Lazcares

Alfa_Lazcares

Oh, I did, sorry I wasnt clear about that. I explained to him that, while some people like 100% cocout oil bars, some find then drying, and that even if you put coconut in the bar, doesnt mean you end up with coconut oil that now magically cleans. He understands, he still is willing to test a coconut oatmeal bar.
    I already made a more balanced bar (coconut, olive, lard and castor) with ground oatmeal in it and I liked it but it wasnt amazing, thats why i wanted to try and make one with less oils and ibcieporatingn the oatmeal in more than one way.

I never thought of oatmeal flour, I might try that!
    I also have added ground oatmeal. But i was thinkin in incorporating it in more than why way, thats why i thought about grounding them with water and using that water, like a milk.