Coconut and oatmeal

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alfa_Lazcares

Reaction score
Hello! So my best friend learned that i am making soaps so he instantly told me that he would like me to make a coconut and oatmeal soap for him. Now, i know he doesnt know anything about soaps so i asked him why he wants a coconut and oatmeal soap and he basically just said that cococut and oatmeal are good for the skin.

So, since i am just experimenting with soap since i am new i thought about making what he wants. So i am thinking on something like this:

Ground oatmeal with water and use the water for the lye and the ground oatmeal as an additive in the batter.

Use 100% coconut oil with a 20% SF.

Or, same thing with the oatmeal but use lard with the coconut. So something like 30% coconut 70% lard and 10% SF. Or maybe 25% coconut, 70% lard and 5% castor oil with a 5% SF.

What do you guys think? Specially for the second. I am unsure on the superfat.
Thanks for any advise!

I agree with TEG. A well balanced bar (Your lard, CO, Castor) with finely ground oatmeal would be nice. Don't make it too course as then it's really scrubby and rather uncomfortable to use. You could soak your ground oats in water then add the oats into the batter. I've not done that myself though. I generally just add the finely ground oatmeal to my oils before my lye/milk mixture.

I think that you would better off letting him know that coconut oil and saponified coconut oil are very different beasts. I would look to make a regular recipe with oatmeal instead of the 100% co bar.

Oh, I did, sorry I wasnt clear about that. I explained to him that, while some people like 100% cocout oil bars, some find then drying, and that even if you put coconut in the bar, doesnt mean you end up with coconut oil that now magically cleans. He understands, he still is willing to test a coconut oatmeal bar.
I already made a more balanced bar (coconut, olive, lard and castor) with ground oatmeal in it and I liked it but it wasnt amazing, thats why i wanted to try and make one with less oils and ibcieporatingn the oatmeal in more than one way.

what about a coarse ground oatmeal and coconut flour CP.
I have had success with coarse ground oatmeal soap in a Honey and Oatmeal Bar.

I never thought of oatmeal flour, I might try that!
I agree with TEG. A well balanced bar (Your lard, CO, Castor) with finely ground oatmeal would be nice. Don't make it too course as then it's really scrubby and rather uncomfortable to use. You could soak your ground oats in water then add the oats into the batter. I've not done that myself though. I generally just add the finely ground oatmeal to my oils before my lye/milk mixture.

I also have added ground oatmeal. But i was thinkin in incorporating it in more than why way, thats why i thought about grounding them with water and using that water, like a milk.

I'm pretty new to soap making, a few batches under my belt. Today I made almond milk for a soap recipe (I like to live on the edge from the start) it's in the freezer right now for tomorrows batch soap adventure. I was wondering the same thing with oats. I purchased steel cut oats and I'm going to soak them overnight in water. Tomorrow I'll make oat milk and try a soap with that next week end. I'm pretty sure it'll work out fine. I'll just substitute the liquid in the almond milk recipe for the oat milk. Here's to adventures :dance: Any insight before I head out to it?

I'm pretty new to soap making, a few batches under my belt. Today I made almond milk for a soap recipe (I like to live on the edge from the start) it's in the freezer right now for tomorrows batch soap adventure. I was wondering the same thing with oats. I purchased steel cut oats and I'm going to soak them overnight in water. Tomorrow I'll make oat milk and try a soap with that next week end. I'm pretty sure it'll work out fine. I'll just substitute the liquid in the almond milk recipe for the oat milk. Here's to adventures :dance: Any insight before I head out to it?

I only grounded the oats with some water and strained. At first I tried to use that liquid instead of water, but once you start pouring the NaOH on it it gets like jelly so I stopped that and only used the "milk" as a partial water replacement. Added it at trace. Had no problems that way. Soap ended up creamy (i dont use colorants yet) so its a creamy yellow. Since I only made it like a week ago I havent tried it yet, so I don't know how it's gonna feel. But it did work!

If you're going to use oatmeal, I'd suggest a tablespoon's worth at most per lbs of oil. If you're making the oatmeal milk, I still suggest you strain a little bit of that out. Other than that, It sounds like the both of you are on the right track for this experiment. As long as your friend is keeping in mind that chemical changes are happening, you both should be on a good start to a soaper/guinea p... er, tester relationship.

To make oatmeal water that doesn’t turn to jelly soak the oats in water for 20 mins then rinse thoroughly. Then put 3 parts oats to 4 parts water and blend in a blender until mixed then strain and replace the recipe water with that water or use 50%.

I’d use the balanced bar and try:
Coconut milk
Oat milk (homemade)
Oats (I hate things in soap but if you grind oats until it is super fine then sieve it and process it again you get almost colloidal oatmeal and it is nice in soap).

I would just use some colloidal oatmeal or baby oatmeal and some canned coconut milk. If he wants to try 100% coconut with 20% SF, there is no harm in trying. I personally love it

Latest posts

Back