Cleaning number

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meena.shah

Reaction score
Please tell if I am having 14 cleaning number in my recipe is it ok ,or should I increase?

Oh dear, these annoying “recommended intervals” again!

No, you don't need to increase further. Cleansing 14 (from 20% coconut oil, I guess?) is totally fine, if not at the upper limit of what many people consider comfortable. Many report that higher CO will irritate skin and have a “stripping”, drying effect.

Properly made soap will always be cleaning, regardless what that number says.

^^what RO said. "Cleansing" refers to how easily and how much dirt and oil is removed from the skin. But the cleansing range listed in soap calculators is deceptive, since it implies that something with a cleansing number of 0 won't clean at all - and that is simply not true. Soaps with a cleansing number of 0 will clean, but the cleaning action will be much gentler and may take a bit more washing effort (a washcloth, for instance).

Everyone's skin is so different - I like really low cleansing numbers to avoid becoming dry and itchy. Folks with oiler skin, more physical labor, or more humid environments, may wish to have a higher cleansing number. Starting at 14 is fine, and you can adjust up or down to your preference as you try out the soap. :)

Back