Christmas 2014

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My husband was looking at news this morning and saw this. Calgary, Alberta got snow dumped on them this morning and the bus driver had a sense of humor :)
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1410451024.700012.jpg

That is gorgeous! Swirl envy...swirl envy. :mrgreen:

It looks like a triple secret feather swirl and I love the purple. Do you mind if I ask what colorant you used?

It will be my pleasure, Miss Hazel. :) Since this is a Christmas thread, consider this to be an early Christmas present from me to you (and I guess to everyone else who sees this as well! lol):

For the purple swirl, I used 1/2 cup of soap batter (it was a small 1.2 lb. sample batch, afterall), and equal amounts of BB's Fired up Fuschia and BB's Ultra Violet Blue (1/8 tsp. each), plus 1/32 tsp. of BB's bamboo charcoal to deepen it a little.

If you have a set of those little measuring spoons that measures in dashes, pinches and smidgens, it translates to 1 dash each of the Fuschia and UV Blue, and one smidgen of the charcoal.

I mixed the colorants up beforehand in a little prep bowl with some glycerin before adding to my 1/2 cup of swirling batter.

For bigger batches, keep to the same ratios of color to batter, just increase the amounts accordingly.

Merry Early Christmas!
IrishLass :)

Edited to add: Oh, by the way, I didn't intentionally do a secret feather swirl. It just happened to come out looking that way. It was actually my rendition of what I like to call an Ione hanger swirl (name after the soaper who inspired it).

And a very Merry Christmas to you! Thank you for sharing how you made the color. I don't have those colorants but I looked on BB and I have some micas which are similar in hue. I'll give them a try. Fortunately, I do have a set of measuring spoons with the dash, pinch, etc.

Oh, by the way, I didn't intentionally do a secret feather swirl. It just happened to come out looking that way. It was actually my rendition of what I like to call an Ione hanger swirl (name after the soaper who inspired it).

I knew there was a hanger involved with this in some way. :lol:

I never did find the Ione hanger swirl, went looking a long time ago. Beautiful Soap :clap:.

Oh, you won't find the Ione swirl by googling the term. It's actually my own little nickname for it. There's a soaper named Ione who has a YouTube channel called Eve'sGardenSoaps whose swirls are simply gorgeous to me. In the following video, Ione demonstrates her hanger swirl technique. It's so simple, and I just love how delicate and flowery her swirls come out with it. I watched very carefully how she maneuvered her hanger, and I followed the same swirling pattern with my own hanger in my (above) Holiday Sparkle soap:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPSn56mdDvQ&list=UU-XsaFN7S6-887kNIUJfqQA[/ame]

IrishLass :)

IrishLass, what beautiful soap! I love everything about it. Seems like whenever I do hangar swirls my batter gets too thick. I also think I'm afraid to work the hangar too much, but after watching Ione's video I see I should be doing much than I am.
Thanks for sharing!

Great video! I really like her presence, I have yet to master the hanger swirl so I will be giving this a try. I was always afraid to use the metal hangers so that helps too. :D

Thanks IrishLass, would never have found it, I think I remember reading about Iones swirl Cherry Blossom soap and tried to find it. Its something similar to how use the hanger.

13 weeks to go.
Remembering -This little piggy, Oscar, who we had to get put to sleep this week.:sad: Possum, the guinea pig is missing him too.

IMG_1233.jpg

Back