Christmas 2014

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about taking the chunks and making a 'chunk' soap or confetti soap?
The length of time for curing castile is personal preference. Some people only cure for 4 weeks, others 6 - 8 weeks, 3 months, 6 months, etc. I cure castile for 1+ year. ;) You could cut a bar up and test at specific intervals to see what you prefer.

That sounds like a plan.

Yesterday I have made a 72% olive bastille as a gift for Christmas 2014. It was really hard in 10 hours after pouring and I had to get a huge knife to cut it this morning.
I have just checked and to my suprise it lathers really wonderfully even today! The recipe was 72% olive oil, 15% CO, 8% castor and 5% palm oil, water reduced to 29% of oils in soapcalc, 6% superfat with powdered coconut milk and 1/2 tablespoon of sugar ppo.

I like bastile soaps and my favorite is one with just olive, coconut and castor. It has good lather, too. To be fair, I like 100% OO with buttermilk or goat milk but technically, that's not Castile.

This person is showing Castile after only a 2 month cure in the video. I don't remember how well the buttermilk olive soap lathered. I doubt I even tested it at 2 months.

However, I can say I liked the buttermilk olive soap after a year's cure and liked it even better after 18 months. This is just personal preference. There have been other members who happily use 100% olive after only a few weeks or few months cure.

I don't have any of the buttermilk OO left but I did find 3 bars of 100% OO. Amazingly, I even had an index card with them on which I had written:

Nov 2011
100% Olive
honey
GMP/half and half
oatmeal

So, it's an older soap which may not help as a comparison. I took pics of the lather (it was hard to do by myself :lol: ). I don't know if you can tell below but the lather was nice. Smaller bubbles but quite a bit of them. I was able to get even more of a lather once I put the camera down and used both hands. Also, it lathered better in warm water than in cold. I wish I could have answered your question but I just don't remember. However, I can recommend olive with milk because it has a better lather than Castile (IMO) and it's really gentle. If you make a batch soon, you'll still have at least 6 months which might be enough time for Christmas.

Hazel, thank you so much for taking time to find this soap and take photos!
This is very helpful (it is difficult for me, a beginner, to imagine my soap in a year or so). The lather seems nice enough and I will surely try this recipe out (probably with coconut milk instead of buttermilk, I will also add some sugar or honey. Thank you again :)

i just noticed I posted a new thread - I wanted to make a reply to the Christmas 2014 topic and instead ended up creating a new one :crazy:. Sorry and even more thanks for reply Hazel!

I wondered what was going on. I went to Christmas 2014 and couldn't find the past few posts. I thought I had inadvertently deleted them. :lol: No need to apologize because it's not a problem. I merged the threads since you wanted it with this topic.

You're welcome and I'm glad it could help! I'm just amazed I still had some 100% OO soap. Please let us know how the coconut olive soap turns out.

I know what you mean about imagining your soap a year from now. I don't know how people who sell castile are able to store it for a year or longer. I've got soap tucked everywhere which is why I didn't realize I still had these bars until recently.

Hazel ...I know that this is a reply to a really old thread but you seem to be pretty savvy on making Castile and Bastille..I have made both in the past some with pretty good success and some not so good. I am going to make a few batches of Bastille pretty soon using mostly OO a little CO and some Caster...My question is ..I want to put and FO in these batches, but I want to keep my bars snow white and don't want to use an FO that will discolor...Have you had any success doing this and if so could you give me a few pointers on which one you like?...
Thanks, Jerry S

Jerry -

This isn't an old thread so don't worry about it. Besides I like to see some old threads come up since they're generally interesting.

I'm sorry but I'm not savvy at all with making Castile or Bastile. I can tell you what I did which you might find helpful. I've never made "Castile" because I've always added something to the olive oil like a dairy item or some coconut and castor. So, I make only Bastile batches. I've never had a snow white batch. The buttermilk was the lightest in color and it was still cream colored. I know using refined grade A olive helps with keeping soap 'whiter". Also freezing the milk and adding the lye very, very slowly so the milk doesn't change color and not letting the batch gel. This is what I did with the buttermilk Castile - just refined olive, frozen milk and stuck it into the frig. Normally, I use enough water for the lye and use dairy for the rest of the liquid to keep a batch lighter in color. You probably need to add titanium dioxide to the batch to make sure it stays white since mine still came out cream colored. I can't give you advice on TD since I haven't used it for several years. I don't know why. I've got some but I just don't use it. But there have been discussions about TD in which people have mentioned how much they use.

Since I'm not too particular about color change, I've never really worried about keeping dairy as cool as possible. A long time ago, someone posted a picture of soap she had made in which she used coconut milk and TD. The soap was white. It was beautiful and it looked like a frosted cake. However, I don't remember if she mentioned the oils she used in it. I wish I remembered who posted it because I couldn't find it and a username would have helped narrow the search. Maybe I didn't even see it on this forum :oops: Anyway, you might find coconut milk will produce a 'whiter' batch than dairy. I don't know if it will but it's worth trying.

Some FOs I've used which haven't discolored are Peak's Love Spell and Black Raspberry Vanilla. But again, I wasn't trying to achieve a white soap and was very happy with the cream color of the portion in which I didn't use colorant. You could browse through the FO Spreadsheet and see which FOs haven't discolored. I really like Peak's Blackberry Sage and I haven't found it to discolor but I don't think I've used it in a milk batch. Surprisingly, Blackberry Sage is well liked by everyone who's sniffed it. Usually, someone always dislikes the scent of a batch or at least is indifferent to the fragrance.

I hope you found this a little helpful and maybe someone else will have better advice.

Castile

Thanks for the tips Hazel...I checked out that Fragrance Oils chart and think that just the ticket for finding FO's that don't discolor...well I'll come close anyway...thanks again:)

You're welcome but I don't feel I've helped very much. Hopefully, someone who's experienced with milk soaps will come along and give more information.

I wondered what was going on. I went to Christmas 2014 and couldn't find the past few posts. I thought I had inadvertently deleted them. :lol: No need to apologize because it's not a problem. I merged the threads since you wanted it with this topic.

You're welcome and I'm glad it could help! I'm just amazed I still had some 100% OO soap. Please let us know how the coconut olive soap turns out.

I know what you mean about imagining your soap a year from now. I don't know how people who sell castile are able to store it for a year or longer. I've got soap tucked everywhere which is why I didn't realize I still had these bars until recently.

It was me who started a new thread as I thought we got a bit off track from the subject of the countdown, seeing it was starting to talk about recipes etc.

And the Christmas 2013 didn't get off track?

I seem to recall a few off topic remarks. Not that I would have posted anything that wasn't relevant to the topic.

The 2013 one went on so long I forgot most of it near the end. I had to re-read it and there was a lot of funny comments.

Okay, I promise I'll behave from now on and not post irrelevant comments. Of course, you'll probably have to remind me since I get a bit forgetful and tend to wander off in tangents.

Latest posts

Back