Chocolate Chip Cookies

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My hubby's fave is the oatmeal double chocolate recipe from America's Test Kitchen. Part of the oatmeal is powdered in a food processor and part is left as the flakes, so you get more of an oat-y flavor. The double chocolate comes from melting part of the chocolate chips and adding the melted chips to the batter. Yummmmmm....!

Here's the recipe written in my recipe-card shorthand. If something's not clear, holler, and I'll translate.

Double Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies
about 4 dozen

3 1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
2 cups flour (10 ounces by weight)
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt

1 1/4 cups butter, softened but still cool
2 cups packed brown sugar
2 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup milk chocolate, melted & cooled

2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1 1/2 cups pecans or walnuts, chopped (optional, but strongly recommended)

Preheat oven to 350 deg F. Process 2 cups oats in food processor into a coarse flour, about 30 sec. Mix oat flour, regular flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.

Beat butter and sugar until well blended, about 1 min. Add eggs and vanilla and beat until light and fluffy, about 30 sec. Add melted chocolate and beat about 20 sec.

Add flour mixture and beat on low until just mixed, 15 sec. Add remaining 1 1/2 cup oats, chocolate chips, and nuts and beat on low until just blended, 10 sec.

Drop 2 TBL dough 2 inches apart on baking sheets. Bake until cookies are cracked and set on top but look moist within cracks, 11 to 12 minutes. Cool cookies on baking sheets for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.

IL you have a very lucky husband. Cooking has always been a love of mine. My husband isn't a picky eater so it's nice to experiment once in awhile. I get tired of making the same things all the time.

DeeAnna my husband would love those. I'll have to give them a try soon.

I like to use Ghiradelli milk chocolate and semi sweet morsels when I make chocolate chip cookies. In a pinch, I'll use the bag mix for instant fix but I've always loved homemade cookies best. I also have the sometimes habit of using applesauce in my cookies when I don't feel like cracking an egg.

I like using the recipe on the back of the chocolate cip bag, whether it be Ghirardelli or tollhouse. I have inconsistent batches when it comes to chocolate chip cookies as well, mine always come out kinda fluffy. I have noticed that if I refrigerate the dough for a bit before baking it, helps a lot. Gives it a nice crunchy outside and chewy melty middle.

Here is my favorite recipe thus far. Next time, I might use less sugar.

30g coconut oil
60g Kerry Gold butter, salted
180g turbinado sugar
1 large pasture-raised egg
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp hot water
180g flour
150g Ghirardelli semi-sweet chocolate chips

Warm the coconut oil and butter until they are liquid. Add sugar, the egg, and vanilla. Dissolve the baking soda in the hot water, and add to the batter. Fold in the flour and chocolate chips. Bake at 350 F for about 10 minutes.

Back