I can hardly believe I made those biscuits!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrishLass

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I'm so excited! Last night, I made the most light and fluffy, restaurant-quality, Southern-style biscuits from scratch that I've ever made in my life, and I just wanted to share the recipe...... not the biscuits- go make your own! :p

Before I post the recipe, I just wanted to say a brief word about flour. There's a flour sold in the Southern region of US called White Lily flour, and most folks that use it swear you just can't make a good Southern-style biscuit without it. Well, no stores carry White Lily flour where I live in the southwest (too west to be considered south), so I had to make do with some creative flour mixing to come up with a fairly respectable facsimile. There are lots of bloggers that have come up with their own White Lily facsimile using various ratios of cake flour to all-purpose flour, and I read many of them before deciding on a ratio, that in theory, sounded to me like it could work quite well.....and it did!

Full disclosure- I've never used White Lily so I can't make a true comparison, but my biscuits came out so incredibly soft and fluffy and light- all the adjectives I normally hear used when folks describe biscuits made with White Lily flour- that I could hardly believe they came from my oven and not a Southern-style restaurant.

Without further ado, the recipe (makes 8 biscuits):

-170g Swans Down Cake Flour
-70g King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour + extra for dusting workspace
-12g (1 tbsp) double-acting baking powder
-3g (1/2 tsp) baking soda
-3g (1/2 tsp) sea salt
-56g (4 tbsp) cold, salted butter, cut into small diced pieces
-8oz/237 mL (1 cup) cold buttermilk (I used lowfat)
-1 tbsp heavy cream for brushing tops of biscuits before baking
- 28g (2 tbsp.) melted butter for brushing after baking

Start preheating oven to 500 degreesF and prepare a baking sheet by lining it with parchment paper.

While oven is preheating, sift together the 2 flours, the baking powder, baking soda and salt into a medium bowl, and briefly stir/whisk to evenly distribute.

Cut the cold butter into small diced pieces, toss them into the flour mixture, cover bowl and place in fridge. Measure out buttermilk and set aside in fridge.

When oven is up to temp, take the flour bowl out of the fridge and cut the butter into the flour with either a pastry cutter or your fingertips until it resembles the consistency of mostly cornmeal with a few peas interspersed throughout. (I used my fingertips...it's my favorite way to cut butter in).

Remove the buttermilk from the fridge and pour into the flour mixture. Stir with a spatula until just combined, then turn out onto a floured workspace. Dough will be quite sticky, so flour your hands well, too.

Lightly knead a few times until the dough just comes together into a cohesive but somewhat raggedy lump, then gently pat out to a 1/2” thick rectangle. It will be on the sticky side, but that’s okay. Better sticky than dry. Just flour your hands and the dough to help keep things from sticking too badly, but don’t go overboard. It should be soft, supple and slightly sticky, not bone dry. Fold the rectangle into 3rds, letter-style.

Give the dough quarter turn and pat out again into a 1/2” rectangle and fold again into 3rds.

Give the dough a quarter turn again, but this time gently pat it out into a 1” thick rectangle or circle, and with a floured 2.5” biscuit cutter, cut out biscuits by pushing straight down into dough. then back up. Do not twist the cutter.

Place the cut biscuits on the parchment-lined baking sheet close enough so that the sides are just touching each other (I was told this will help them rise better. I didn't know if that was true or not, but I did it anyway, and they rose perfectly fine).

Gently gather the remaining dough scraps into a 1” thick round or rectangle and cut out more. The last bit of dough will have to be hand-formed.

Brush tops with cream (making sure it doesn't dribble down the sides) then bake on middle rack @ 500F for 8 to 10 minutes, until lightly golden (mine took 10 minutes). Brush hot biscuits with melted butter, gently 'unstick' them from each other with 2 forks, remove them to a wire rack, and let rest 5 to 10 minutes before serving.

Split in half, spread with butter (and maybe some honey, too!) and devour!

IrishLass :)

I'm so excited! Last night, I made the most light and fluffy, restaurant-quality, Southern-style biscuits from scratch that I've ever made in my life, and I just wanted to share the recipe...... not the biscuits- go make your own! :p

Before I post the recipe, I just wanted to say a brief word about flour. There's a flour sold in the Southern region of US called White Lily flour, and most folks that use it swear you just can't make a good Southern-style biscuit without it. Well, no stores carry White Lily flour where I live in the southwest (too west to be considered south), so I had to make do with some creative flour mixing to come up with a fairly respectable facsimile. There are lots of bloggers that have come up with their own White Lily facsimile using various ratios of cake flour to all-purpose flour, and I read many of them before deciding on a ratio, that in theory, sounded to me like it could work quite well.....and it did!

Full disclosure- I've never used White Lily so I can't make a true comparison, but my biscuits came out so incredibly soft and fluffy and light- all the adjectives I normally hear used when folks describe biscuits made with White Lily flour- that I could hardly believe they came from my oven and not a Southern-style restaurant.

Without further ado, the recipe (makes 8 biscuits):

-170g Swans Down Cake Flour
-70g King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour + extra for dusting workspace
-12g (1 tbsp) double-acting baking powder
-3g (1/2 tsp) baking soda
-3g (1/2 tsp) sea salt
-56g (4 tbsp) cold, salted butter, cut into small diced pieces
-8oz/237 mL (1 cup) cold buttermilk (I used lowfat)
-1 tbsp heavy cream for brushing tops of biscuits before baking
- 28g (2 tbsp.) melted butter for brushing after baking

Start preheating oven to 500 degreesF and prepare a baking sheet by lining it with parchment paper.

While oven is preheating, sift together the 2 flours, the baking powder, baking soda and salt into a medium bowl, and briefly stir/whisk to evenly distribute.

Cut the cold butter into small diced pieces, toss them into the flour mixture, cover bowl and place in fridge. Measure out buttermilk and set aside in fridge.

When oven is up to temp, take the flour bowl out of the fridge and cut the butter into the flour with either a pastry cutter or your fingertips until it resembles the consistency of mostly cornmeal with a few peas interspersed throughout. (I used my fingertips...it's my favorite way to cut butter in).

Remove the buttermilk from the fridge and pour into the flour mixture. Stir with a spatula until just combined, then turn out onto a floured workspace. Dough will be quite sticky, so flour your hands well, too.

Lightly knead a few times until the dough just comes together into a cohesive but somewhat raggedy lump, then gently pat out to a 1/2” thick rectangle. It will be on the sticky side, but that’s okay. Better sticky than dry. Just flour your hands and the dough to help keep things from sticking too badly, but don’t go overboard. It should be soft, supple and slightly sticky, not bone dry. Fold the rectangle into 3rds, letter-style.

Give the dough quarter turn and pat out again into a 1/2” rectangle and fold again into 3rds.

Give the dough a quarter turn again, but this time gently pat it out into a 1” thick rectangle or circle, and with a floured 2.5” biscuit cutter, cut out biscuits by pushing straight down into dough. then back up. Do not twist the cutter.

Place the cut biscuits on the parchment-lined baking sheet close enough so that the sides are just touching each other (I was told this will help them rise better. I didn't know if that was true or not, but I did it anyway, and they rose perfectly fine).

Gently gather the remaining dough scraps into a 1” thick round or rectangle and cut out more. The last bit of dough will have to be hand-formed.

Brush tops with cream (making sure it doesn't dribble down the sides) then bake on middle rack @ 500F for 8 to 10 minutes, until lightly golden (mine took 10 minutes). Brush hot biscuits with melted butter, gently 'unstick' them from each other with 2 forks, remove them to a wire rack, and let rest 5 to 10 minutes before serving.

Split in half, spread with butter (and maybe some honey, too!) and devour!

Pic?

Nice job! I gave up biscuits Jan 2nd. 30 lbs later, I still miss them. I’m a “son of the South, and they’re literally baked into our culture. My mom made them practically every day of my life. Biscuits for breakfast, and cornbread for supper. Thanks for honoring my roots.

Cool! We call them scones. :)

Nice job! I gave up biscuits Jan 2nd. 30 lbs later, I still miss them. I’m a “son of the South, and they’re literally baked into our culture. My mom made them practically every day of my life. Biscuits for breakfast, and cornbread for supper. Thanks for honoring my roots.
Oh how I miss cornbread from my time spent in Kentucky. I have made some here though - I think some people weren't that into it. It's one of those 'food memories' that I only have.

Scones and biscuits are not the same in my opinion. Biscuits are softer and lighter.
Generally, it's the buttermilk that makes the difference between a good southern biscuit and a scone. Lass is right..butter is the classic, but my grandmother made them with bacon drippings (just like everything else she cooked). That's how I remember them! Here's a recipe from a famous biscuit place in Charleston, SC that also uses cream cheese. My "Mamaw" would probably turn over in her grave, but they looked really good.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/callies-charleston-biscuits-5624610

I'll post one next time around. We were too occupied with eating them to even think about taking a picture. ;) lol

Awesome job- 30 lbs! Good for you! :) I don't know that I'll be making them everyday, but I'm thinking once a week or every other week might be nice. In terms of weight gain/loss, when I was looking up recipes online, I ran into a few different butter to flour ratios...some used 1/2 cup of butter per every 2 cups flour, while others 1/4 cup of butter and I even found a gal who used only 2 tbsp., and her biscuits looked great. I used 1/4 cup in mine, but I'm thinking of going with 2 tbsp. next time to see how they compare. If they come out great with only 2 tbsp., I'll stick to that ratio to help keep our waistlines on the trim side.

Cool! We call them scones. :)

Yes- that's right! And it's a good thing you do, too- because what you call biscuits, we call cookies! :) lol I have a good British-style scone recipe that I love to make, too, which I love to slather with clotted cream and jam.

Scones and biscuits are not the same in my opinion. Biscuits are softer and lighter.

I definitely see what you mean, although I still look at them as being in the biscuit family, much in the same way that Fig Newtons are every bit of a cookie just as a Sikerdoodle is a cookie....totally different in looks, consistency and taste, but still a cookie at heart. :) The British-style scones that I make have a much different taste profile than the Southern-style biscuits I just made (just a touch sweeter, and without the buttermilk tang), and they are also a little bit sturdier.....less like a down-filled pillow and more like a cotton-filled pillow, so to speak- but they're still a fluffy, biscuit-like creature to me.......and way more "biscuit-like" than the American-style scones that Starbuck's sells- also a biscuit-like creature to me, but totally different in taste and texture from a British-style scone. I guess one could call all the different variations "biscuits of distinction". :)

Generally, it's the buttermilk that makes the difference between a good southern biscuit and a scone.

A definite taste difference there, for sure. I have some clotted cream on hand that that I made for my British-style scones and I tried some out on my Southern-style biscuits along with some homemade blueberry jam, and it just wasn't the same. It was definitely yummy, don't get me wrong- but it tasted totally different.

my grandmother made them with bacon drippings (just like everything else she cooked). That's how I remember them! Here's a recipe from a famous biscuit place in Charleston, SC that also uses cream cheese. My "Mamaw" would probably turn over in her grave, but they looked really good.
https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/callies-charleston-biscuits-5624610

I'm still working on my bacon drippings.....accumulating them, that is. I don't have enough yet to make much with them at the moment, but we're getting there! lol Those Charleston biscuits look yummy!

I'll post one next time around. We were too occupied with eating them to even think about taking a picture. ;) lol

Awesome job- 30 lbs! Good for you! :) I don't know that I'll be making them everyday, but I'm thinking once a week or every other week might be nice. In terms of weight gain/loss, when I was looking up recipes online, I ran into a few different butter to flour ratios...some used 1/2 cup of butter per every 2 cups flour, while others 1/4 cup of butter and I even found a gal who used only 2 tbsp., and her biscuits looked great. I used 1/4 cup in mine, but I'm thinking of going with 2 tbsp. next time to see how they compare. If they come out great with only 2 tbsp., I'll stick to that ratio to help keep our waistlines on the trim side.

Yes- that's right! And it's a good thing you do, too- because what you call biscuits, we call cookies! :) lol I have a good British-style scone recipe that I love to make, too, which I love to slather with clotted cream and jam.

I definitely see what you mean, although I still look at them as being in the biscuit family, much in the same way that Fig Newtons are every bit of a cookie just as a Sikerdoodle is a cookie....totally different in looks, consistency and taste, but still a cookie at heart. :) The British-style scones that I make have a much different taste profile than the Southern-style biscuits I just made (just a touch sweeter, and without the buttermilk tang), and they are also a little bit sturdier.....less like a down-filled pillow and more like a cotton-filled pillow, so to speak- but they're still a fluffy, biscuit-like creature to me.......and way more "biscuit-like" than the American-style scones that Starbuck's sells- also a biscuit-like creature to me, but totally different in taste and texture from a British-style scone. I guess one could call all the different variations "biscuits of distinction". :)

A definite taste difference there, for sure. I have some clotted cream on hand that that I made for my British-style scones and I tried some out on my Southern-style biscuits along with some homemade blueberry jam, and it just wasn't the same. It was definitely yummy, don't get me wrong- but it tasted totally different.

I'm still working on my bacon drippings.....accumulating them, that is. I don't have enough yet to make much with them at the moment, but we're getting there! lol Those Charleston biscuits look yummy!

We don't keep it around the house very often, but every good, "southern" cook has an ever-being-replenished can of bacon dripping. When I see it, all I can about is how to make bacon soap!

You should try my cheese scones. yummy!

Latest posts

Back