Ginger molasses cookies

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

navigator9

Reaction score
After being in "dog mode" for the past few weeks, and spending much of yesterday shoveling because my snowblower wouldn't start, I tried to catch up a little on cookie baking today. I give a lot of my friends cookies at Christmas, because at our age, we really don't need anything, but it's nice to have some holiday cookies to enjoy, and not everyone likes to bake. I used to do all the fancy, iced, cut out cookies, but now I just make the ones that everyone really likes the best.

One of those is these ginger molasses cookies. I've had this recipe for forever, I have no idea where I got it, but it's followed me over the years, and it's always been a favorite. They're made with shortening, not butter, and they have the most lovely, delicate crispness around the edges, but are soft and chewy in the center. They also look pretty with their crinkled tops. One of the things I love about them, beside their warm, spicy flavor, is that the recipe is easy to double, and it's always nice to have some in the freezer for when company drops in unexpectedly, you can just bake them up some warm, spicy cookies and your house smells incredible. Here you go...

Ginger Molasses Cookies

3/4 cup vegetable shortening
1 cup sugar, plus more for rolling
1 large egg
1/4 cup molasses
2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Using an electric mixer at low speed, cream the shortening and sugar until combined. Add the egg and molasses and beat until thoroughly mixed together. Sift together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and salt and add to the mixture. Mix until just combined. Roll the dough into balls about 1-inch in diameter. Press the tops of the balls in sugar. Place 1 1/2-inch apart on cookie sheets. Flatten the balls slightly with the palm of your hand. (I flatten them to about a half inch) Bake for 12 minutes. Remove with a spatula and place on a rack to cool. Makes about 3 dozen

If you want to freeze some, put them on a cookie sheet in the freezer until they're firm enough to pop into a zip lock bag. When you're ready to bake, let them thaw at room temp first, then bake and enjoy!

I'll try to post a pic tomorrow so you can see their pretty, crinkled top.

I've never had them, but now I want them!

What snappyllama said!

Well, if you've never had them, you must try them. And they're so easy. They're a true winter cookie, with their molasses and warm spices. Sniff really hard and maybe you can smell this one. The first pic is of one dipped in sugar and flattened a bit. The next is 12 minutes later, all crackled and sugar sparkly. Oh yum!

squished.jpg

done.jpg

Latest posts

Back