Chicken Fat Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
These soaps were made with 40% chicken fat. The fat itself was very yellow and I also added honey and goat milk. The colors are indigo in oil and AC in oil leftover from another soap. Look at that green! This will be a fun one to watch for color changes in the coming months. I used two small test molds and did the tops a different way, but other than that, everything was the same. The scent is an EO blend called 'Seascape' from eocalc.com - cedarwood, lemongrass, rosemary and eucalyptus.

10BC4606-2784-4734-AEB9-67BC757B79FF.jpeg
AF126D5D-E107-4A8D-AD76-AC59C8058CCE.jpeg

06778077-7A8D-43D0-9777-C11C2EB06582.jpeg

Good job! I'm curious, does the chicken fat have an odor?
Before saponification, this first bit of fat had the aroma of roasted chicken because of the way I rendered the fat. Right now I can't detect that aroma in the soap, but I picked EOs I hoped would blend appropriately if the scent starts to come through. ;) I have another batch of fat in the freezer and will try to render it without getting any browned bits to see if that makes a difference.
Also, any special pros abut using chicken fat?
Chicken fat has more polyunsaturated fatty acids, such as linoleic acid, compared with most of the other animal fats. I added some tallow to the soap to bring the palmitic and stearic up and OO to bring the linoleic down to 15%. The best thing about the chicken fat I used is that it was free!

edited to add the part about adding OO

Last edited:
When I used Chicken Fat I found it traced slower and I did not have any odor from the chicken fat so maybe I rendered in differently.
How did you render the fat?

@soapmaker My neighbor gave me the chicken. It was an old, chubby (fat) chicken to start with.

This chart shows the composition of some edible fats. You can see that chicken fat falls in between lard and soft oils in composition.

216B950F-DA6C-4D0C-8B8D-8DFF9E65F930.jpeg

Last edited:
I still have some fat left from another chicken or two. Can I melt/render chicken fat sufficiently in a small crock pot? I'm thinking about finely dicing first, while it's mostly frozen. I also have a food processor and a hand-cranked meat grinder.

These soaps were made with 40% chicken fat. The fat itself was very yellow and I also added honey and goat milk. The colors are indigo in oil and AC in oil leftover from another soap. Look at that green! This will be a fun one to watch for color changes in the coming months. I used two small test molds and did the tops a different way, but other than that, everything was the same. The scent is an EO blend called 'Seascape' from eocalc.com - cedarwood, lemongrass, rosemary and eucalyptus.

View attachment 45831
View attachment 45832
View attachment 45833
When you say "indigo in oil" is the oil discounted?

View attachment 45831
View attachment 45832
View attachment 45833

They look awesome!

As I wanted to avoid any chicken aroma or darker colour I was anxious to render at a low temperature. It did take a bit longer but the fat was pretty clear and odourless.
What color was your fat to start with? The fat I have is quite yellow. Here's a photo of the frozen fat I haven't rendered. I was hoping the yellow in the first batch would hold because I've been trying to get a good green from indigo mixed with a natural yellow pigment. ETA: based on a quick online search, the yellow in the chicken fat I have is probably from yellow pigment (carotenoids) in grass they fed on.

3290AB9B-5207-42CC-91BA-AB543AF55903.jpeg

Last edited:
My fat was off-white yellowish, very pale.
I was told that young chicks have lighter/paler fat and old chicks/hens have a more yellow fat.

In only a couple of weeks, the green, from indigo, has really faded in these soaps. I love, love, love the tops. Drain clogging aside, the ash, charcoal and botanicals make this soap much more interesting than it would be without them.
FF353883-AC3C-4C8E-951F-3184D8394C05.jpeg

Back