Cheese cutter vs. Bud cutter

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For anybody else reading this, you don't need a complicated modification for a cheese cutter. How often do you change the thickness of your bars, really? All you have to do is make a stop for the soap to butt against while cutting and screw it down to the cutter. Drill two holes, sink two screws.

Yes, that and another "wall" to help guide and keep the loaf from slipping. Plus one more very important thing - skills to do it! Which I don't have, nor do I have the tools! Seriously - I need to take a basic class somewhere because it's really ridiculous to not have these basic household skills!

Bud said he could ship out by Saturday !! WOOO HOOO I just bought one ;)
I figure it is worth the investment.
I don't think he makes the Wooden ones anymore. I don't see them on his Etsy site

Lin I think it's absolutely worth the investment! I wish I had done it years ago because it makes such a difference. Although like BrewerGeorge pointed out - things could have been different for me had I taken a semester of wookworking in high school!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, that and another "wall" to help guide and keep the loaf from slipping. Plus one more very important thing - skills to do it! Which I don't have, nor do I have the tools! Seriously - I need to take a basic class somewhere because it's really ridiculous to not have these basic household skills!

You will also need a clamp and a drill and a drill bit and a saw. If you don’t have the equipment it’s difficult to do these basic things even with the knowledge. The knowledge comes with trying a few times but getting the equipment is more difficult.

I figure it is worth the investment.
It is. You will THANK YOURSELF after just the first use.
I don't have a bud cutter, but I have had a multi-cutter I got from FCS since about a month after I started soaping, (over 15 years now) and I love that thing. I will be sad if I ever have to replace it, but if/when I do have to, it will be a priority to do so.

So I know that I read this before but am I correct that you can't cut Salt bars with a wire cutter? Not even if it is cut early?

So I know that I read this before but am I correct that you can't cut Salt bars with a wire cutter? Not even if it is cut early?
You can. I do. But a full M&P loaf is a no-go. The only time I've ever popped a wire is trying to cut a M&P loaf. It will slice through my M&P embeds just fine, but not a full loaf.

Latest posts

Back