Cheese cutter vs. Bud cutter

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I want a Bud cutter, but is it really worth the money compared to a cheese cutter?

I've been using a cheese cutter which has been good enough, but lacking in perfection - in every 2.5 loaf there's always 2 or 3 that are slanted because the loaf is longer than the cheese cutter and slides. The thickness of the bars can also vary due to the human factor.

Is a Bud cutter more fail proof and precise?

In a word, yes. I have the single wire Bud cutter, and it's much more accurate and reliable.

Because there's a "stop" that you can lock in place, the thickness of the bars is more consistent with less fussing. Just slide the loaf against the stop and cut.

I don't have a bud cutter, but my husband made me a multi-bar cutter for my birthday 2 years ago. It is the best.thing.ever. If you can get something with guides so that you don't have to "eyeball the line" it is always going to be better. The happier you are with your cuts, the more value the cutter will have. If you know someone who is handy and mechanically inclined, they may be able to make a guide for cutting your soaps so that the soap is squared up better. I've watched a number of videos where the soap is cut with a cheese cutter and every time Chris says "they could make that better". lol.

By a ‘stop’ DeeAnna means a piece of plastic at the end that you adjust to the thickness of the soap you want. By putting the soap against this piece of plastic each slice will be the same thickness.

You can modify your cheese cutter if you are handy or buy a budcutter. I have a bud multicutter and would not be without it.

The only handy people I know are professional woodworkers who've never made a soap cutter. In fact - they didn't know you could make soap.
For the cost of a cutter from Heritage Workshop (Bud doesn't have any wooden ones, and Heritage is $35 cheaper with better shipping), I would get a soap cutter from someone who doesn't understand cutting soap.

I've seen videos of people altering cheese cutters - but I'd have to buy wood/hardware and learn how to use power tools.

(See what a good job I can do talking myself into something??)

my hubby made me a multi cutter several yrs ago and I would not be without it. Yes, I think even the Bud single wire cutter would be better than a knife. I could not cut soap with a knife decently if my life depended on it :eek: I would still go with a Bud cutter versus a wood cutter. His would be much easier to keep clean

If bud has metal cutters it means they are better than wood. Stronger and won’t warp and as cmzaha says easier to clean.

Bud knows what he’s doing regarding cutting soap.

How do you set the width of the bars?

What PenelopeJane said.

See the black upside-down "U" in the pic? Below the "U" there's a little block of plastic with a silver screw and wingnut in the middle. That's the "stop". You move that block closer to the wire or further away to set the thickness of the soap bar. The wingnut screws down tight against the block to hold it firmly in place. Image source: https://www.etsy.com/listing/570466...adjustable-soap-cutter?ref=shop_home_active_1

For the record, I have the wooden version of this single-wire cutter, and I've been quite happy with it (second image). Only the "U" and the bottom square frame are wood. The parts of the cutter that the soap touches are all that white HDPE plastic. It's easy to keep clean.

Bud didn't make the metal and plastic versions of this cutter until just the past couple of years. I'd guess one big reason for switching to all plastic and metal was to distinguish his products from his competition, because several persons have decided to make near identical copies of Bud's wood-based cutter to sell on Etsy. It is very easy to confuse the Real Thing (Bud's cutter) with the clones, and that's not the way to survive on Etsy.

Attachments

• iap_640x640.1447657222_oxltobvt.jpg
    iap_640x640.1447657222_oxltobvt.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 32
  • ee1294c0de5e4046cf30bd9a3090a734.jpg
    ee1294c0de5e4046cf30bd9a3090a734.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 25
I have the metal multi bar and wooden single bar from Bud. Love them both. I mostly use the multi bar but use the single to cut full bars in half for wedding and baby showers. My husband built my first multi cutter but after 4 years it started to warp so donated it to my sister in law who makes soap on occasion for herself

I also have the wood single bar cutter from Bud. I love it, and in all honesty I think the plastic one would be a plus as far as cleaning. There is something about the loveliness of wood though, and the cutter doesn’t really need to be cleaned that often. I also like the flexibility of being able to change the size of my bars if I want to, not to mention cutting soaps that need to be cut horizontally. It doesn’t take too long to cut a loaf, and that is something I enjoy doing. If I was selling and had to cut a lot of loaves every week, I might feel differently.

Bud is super nice to work with, so if you really would prefer wood to plastic, send him an email and ask if he would make you one. I think he might.

my hubby made me a multi cutter several yrs ago and I would not be without it. Yes, I think even the Bud single wire cutter would be better than a knife. I could not cut soap with a knife decently if my life depended on it :eek: I would still go with a Bud cutter versus a wood cutter. His would be much easier to keep clean

Well I ordered one from Heritage Workshop; She does quality work too (have her slab mold) and with an almost $40 price difference. I would have loved to buy from Bud Haffner because I think he's the original designer and deserve the loyalty, but there's actual a wait list so he's not hurting for customers.

Thanks, I just figured out that he only sells on Etsy, that I am not on. But I messaged him through FB.
Maybe I will get lucky and he will have a rounded top cutter in my size just hanging around ;)

Maybe I should just buy it and when it comes it comes

Maybe I will get lucky and he will have a rounded top cutter in my size just hanging around ;)
I think he only makes the cutters to order, but I could be wrong on that. Might be something you want to ask. I do know he is super nice and very helpful with any type of questions.
There are times when he gets so backed up with orders he will close down his shop for a week or two just to catch up, he is in that high of demand. And it doesn't seem like the accident he had a couple years ago has slowed him down much, so that's good too!

For anybody else reading this, you don't need a complicated modification for a cheese cutter. How often do you change the thickness of your bars, really? All you have to do is make a stop for the soap to butt against while cutting and screw it down to the cutter. Drill two holes, sink two screws.

Bud said he could ship out by Saturday !! WOOO HOOO I just bought one ;)
I figure it is worth the investment.
I don't think he makes the Wooden ones anymore. I don't see them on his Etsy site

Latest posts

Back