Candles for a beginner

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kleine Teufel

Reaction score
I have been looking into soy candles. I want to make some for the holidays, but I'm a little stumped. I don't want to dump a lot of money into it, and that's what has been scaring me. The FO's are not inexpensive and some people say that you really have to experiment with the FO's to find the right ones that will stick in the soy waxes. :/ I want to go through Brambleberry for my FO's for now, since that's where I'm getting my FO's for soap and would like to match up some soap scents with candle scents so that I can make little gift baskets for presents. Are there any guidelines for which FO's work better in the Ecosoya advance wax?

I would get a soy wax kit that includes everything you need. Otherwise you will be futzing with different wicks and different fragrances and doing lots and lots of testing.

Is there any way to figure out the contents of a kit? I'm trying to be economical and not buy a kit with scents that aren't to my liking, etc. IME the kits end up being more expensive than just buying the stuff separately. :/

bettacreek said:
Is there any way to figure out the contents of a kit? I'm trying to be economical and not buy a kit with scents that aren't to my liking, etc. IME the kits end up being more expensive than just buying the stuff separately. :/
Sure, you can figure out what's in the kit, but as soon as you change any fragrance you will have to do your own testing. Not all fragrances throw well or burn in soy.

If you go to candlescience they have a soy wax rating on their FO's and a tutorial section for your learning. I think their Fo's are quite reasonable. Maybe you could match up some of your fragrances with Brambleberry or just buy your soap and candle FO's from candlescience.

Relle9 said:
If you go to candlescience they have a soy wax rating on their FO's and a tutorial section for your learning. I think their Fo's are quite reasonable. Maybe you could match up some of your fragrances with Brambleberry or just buy your soap and candle FO's from candlescience.

Awesome! Thank you!

Thanks Soapbuddy, I do understand what you're saying, but Relle has it pinned to exactly what I was looking for.

Back