Can I use this for my lye mixture?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nastiaam

Reaction score
EB151F7D-9324-4491-ACBD-C22A70E62C01.png

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Stainless steel is safe to use, but it's good to consider the container as a whole, not just the material it's made of. I can't tell if the bottom is a separate piece. If it is, I'd want to know this container is made in such a way that it will be absolutely leak proof.

Also a lye container should have a cover to control contamination (dust, flying insects, animal hair, etc.), to minimize the spill hazard, and to keep the lye solution from reacting with the open air. I keep lye solution covered as much as possible when I'm not actively pouring or otherwise working with it.

HDPE buckets such as those you can get from paint stores come in different sizes and work great. Some come with metal handles which I would take off. These are similar although I used 1-2 gallon size buckets. This way you do not need to worry about the quality of the stainless steel since some will still pit over time. Also, lids are available for many of the buckets so you can premix your lye and or soap batter and put a lid on it. HDX 10 qt. Mixing Bucket RG510HD - The Home Depot
Search Results for 1 gallon mixing buckets at The Home Depot

I recently purchased a Stainless Steel Pitcher. I Master Batch a ready-to-use Lye Solution and had been using my mixing bowls from the Dollar Tree, but if you don’t get them spotless clean, you end up with a residue. And sometimes I’m a little concerned as the handles aren’t super study. The one I have linked is 64oz, but I only mix up about 48oz and set it in the sink of cold water to cool down and then transfer it to a jug with a tight lid.

Back