Can I use a food dehydrator for my soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kattobrn

Reaction score
I made a batch of HP soap and it got really dry even before I put it in the mold..did I overcook it? So I grated the soap, put it back in the crock pot and melted it and added hot water till it was thick mashed potato consistancy. I put it back in the mold, put it in the freezer for an hour or so, it came out of the mold easily and cut easily. But it is really soft and moist. Should I just let it dry out naturally or can I use my food dehydrator to speed up the process? I am very new to soap making. Like this was my 2nd batch (the first was a shampoo bar that also got dry, but molded and cut fine and works really well.)

Also, has anyone else had the edges of HP soap get dry before the middle finished "cooking"? And how can I prevent this in the future?

I cannot speak to using the dehydrator to harden the bar, but maybe I can offer some advice about the edges of your HP soap. Not sure if you are talking about when it is in the crockpot (as I am assuming that is your method?) or after you are putting it in the mold so lets assume that while it is cooking in the crockpot: I would suggest after it starts coming up on the sides, stir it down and cook for another five-ten minutes and give it another stir. I would keep doing this until it passes the zap test. That will allow an even cook and should soften the sides up. Unfortunately you have to work fast with hp once it starts to cool. Hope I helped and didn't confuse. I can show someone how to do something in person but I am horrible writing directions.

Take it from someone who tried just that. The soap gels and gets real mushy in a dehydrator. Not good. You can't get it out because it sticks to the mesh on the trays. And it takes a much longer time then to harden enough you can actually touch it without leaving fingerprints.

leave your soap to dry out naturally. the water/moisture in it froze so you have to let it warm up to room temperature and then it will start the normal process of drying out. // i do not do HP soap making ....... have you tried folding in the dry edges? i just going off of the vids i see.

Thank you for the replies. That helps immensely. I can already tell the soaps are starting to firm up. I am looking forward to trying them out. Though I think it will still be a couple weeks before they are ready.

Latest posts

Back