When can I test a batch?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Now that I kinda understand the soap calculator and how to develop recipes and batch sizes I’d like to know how long to wait before I can test bars and see if I like them? I know typically a batch needs to dry or rest for 60 to 90 days but can I sample and test a bar sooner? Thanks for the help in advance. Members here are really informative and willing to share.

If the soap is properly made and once it passes the zap test, I'd give it a few days to a week. Then use the soap to wash your hands. See how that goes. I'm all for new soap makers not rushing into things based on things people share here as well as my own personal experiences as a newbie. As you gain experience, you'll develop a sense about when it's reasonable to safely test your soap.

What I've found is a young soap generally doesn't lather as well as the same soap after it's cured -- in other words, you have to work harder to get the same amount of lather. Also the type of lather can change over time -- fluffy and loose versus low and creamy. In my experience, the same is true whether it's hot process soap or cold process.

If the soap is properly made and once it passes the zap test, I'd give it a few days to a week. Then use the soap to wash your hands. See how that goes. I'm all for new soap makers not rushing into things based on things people share here as well as my own personal experiences as a newbie. As you gain experience, you'll develop a sense about when it's reasonable to safely test your soap.

What I've found is a young soap generally doesn't lather as well as the same soap after it's cured -- in other words, you have to work harder to get the same amount of lather. Also the type of lather can change over time -- fluffy and loose versus low and creamy. In my experience, the same is true whether it's hot process soap or cold process.
Sorry for being dumb, what is the zap test.

I'll give you the safer method: wet your finger, rub on the soap until you get lather, touch that soapy finger to your tongue. If you get a sharp zap like you put a 9 volt battery to your tongue, it is still too "raw" to safely use. My method is to stick my tongue on the sample bar to see if it zaps. Same result, just saves a lot of time and trouble.

I usually will trial an end cut of a new batch (ie new FO, additive, etc.,) about 48 hours after cutting — while wearing gloves —to examine scent throw (and other variables), so I can make notes. Experience has taught me that — with my recipe — 5 days is the minimum wait time to trial a soap bare-handed to test the qualities I'm looking for. Any sooner than that, and my hand gets the dry, uncomfortable feeling that folks who still use "detergent bars" must experience. :p Those poor people.

If you are a new soaper, with your first batch, and you are asking here to inquire on timing because you are planning to patiently sit on your hands until day 60 before you experience the magicalness of holding your first bar of soap under a running stream of water and lathering it into bubbly lathery beautiness... well... I doff my cap to you... I NEVER had that level of patience or self-control with my first batch 😂 😂 😂 😂 or 20th! I think I had to get 50 batches in before I got over the OMG-I-CANT-WAIT-TO-TRY-THIS. I was washing my hands within hours of cutting my first bar 😂 I regretted it in hindsight, but at that moment in time, it was glorious.

You have the patience of Job and my everlasting respect.

Last edited:
That is too funny. I’ll try the zap test after a day or two and see if it’s safe. Thanks for the feedback!
Please please don’t lick the bar of soap, @Thomas Ancona !! If your soap is lye heavy, or has lye pockets, you could do some preventable damage. It won’t kill you, but Why take the risk? Gloves on, wet soap, get some lather going, touch tongue to the lather. That will do it!

I soap hot, and keep my soap on a heating pad to force gel. I can usually unmold and cut at about 12 hours. I usually wait a few hours, but I could do it then, if I had to. I typically zap test when I cut.

Latest posts

Back