Can I rebatch some soap to make a salt bar?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JenniferSews

Reaction score
I have some really basic soap I made for my first batch. It's shortening, coconut and olive oil with no added oils or fragrance. I've been slowly rebatching it. I'd love to try a salt bar, but I can't figure out how much salt to add and whether it will work in a rebatch. Is there a calc for soap I have missed?

Jennifer, weigh out how much soap you want, melt it down and then add 75% if the soap weight in salt. I would also add some extra oil like Sweet Almond to it to make it a little smoother for the mix. You are going to have to cut this really quick after you pour so be prepared for it....

Have fun and post pics so we can see....

Thank you, I never would have tried that high a %! I'll give it a try tomorrow most likely!

When I'm making my salt bars (CP) I always make it so that 75% of my weight is salt whether it's straight Sea Salt or Pink Himalayan Salt. They make amazing soaps/body bars!

Wow! You're family is going to be in for a treat this Christmas! First the beer soap, now the salt bar! My folks that get salt bars LOVE them!

I dunno if doing a rebatch salt bar will give you the same effect as doing a salt bar from the get-go. People have different preferences for their percentage...some go 50%, 75%, 100%....I like the recipe I do with 75%.

Vinca Leaf said:
Wow! You're family is going to be in for a treat this Christmas! First the beer soap, now the salt bar! My folks that get salt bars LOVE them!

I dunno if doing a rebatch salt bar will give you the same effect as doing a salt bar from the get-go. People have different preferences for their percentage...some go 50%, 75%, 100%....I like the recipe I do with 75%.

Good to know, maybe I'll have to try rebatch and from scratch. I've made more soap than anyone can ever use but it's so addicting! I'm going to have to give baskets full. :lol:

Even though I haven't tried it yet I have a recipe that uses about 50% by weight of the soap you want to rebatch added to a new batch along with 50% salt. I will probably do this sometime this week since I have a bunch of trimmings from the soap I made last week. Since my trimmings are from several different bars, different colors and fragrances, I have to decide what fragrance will go well with the trimmings. The picture that was with the salt bar recipe had a confetti type if appearance.

Back