Butters during summer heat?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fragola

Reaction score
What can be done ? Modify the recipe, use some tricks to raise their melting temperature ?

Besides the fridge ...

Well I am certainly no expert because I just made my first batch and I'm dealing with grainy issues. :( But I can tell you that in my research I found that people will modify their recipe in the warmer months by increasing the butters to oil percentage. That is what I have read so I'm interested to know if this is actually what you would do. Do you sellers out there continue to sell butters in the summer? I know that shipping is ceased but how about selling locally?

Kokum butter has a higher melting point than shea, mango or cocoa.

You could also add beeswax but then it would be stiffer, waxy and hard to spread.

You could instead add cera bellina to make it gel like so it doesn't liquidfy.

Shea and mango butter are prone to graininess whether you temper them or not. You could try 92 degree coconut and/or use cosmetic grade candelilla or carnauba wax.
Regarding tempering to eliminate the graininess - it works, but only to a point. If your lip balm is exposed to temperature shifts the grains can reappear. Yes, tempering properly should eliminate the seed crystals, but it's very hard for us to ensure they are all gone and don't re-form during tempering and chilling (even bumping your pot can do it).

My fix is Butter-EZ or to eliminate the buttes altogether (palm oil makes a lovely sub).

Andrea

Latest posts

Back