DIY lotio Question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweettea23

Reaction score
Hi, I have made some Cocoa butter based lotion that has randomly expanded a lot? Like popped the container open expanded? It has happened in a pump container and in a squeeze bottle (lotion exploded when i opened the lid). The recipe was a bit of an experiment - it was my first time using cetearyl alcohol- but I added the proper amount of preservatives at the right temperature. It doesn't smell or look bad. Can lotions with cetearyl alcohol expand/build up pressure? Or is it spoiled?

I highly doubt it's the cetearyl alcohol. Building up that much pressure is a pretty sure sign of microbial growth. My guess is inadequate sanitation of the work area, containers, or ingredients, and/or the use of additives that provide a food source for microbes.

But without detailed information, it's anybody's guess at this point. You need to provide your entire recipe -- all ingredients, however minor -- and explain how you made the lotion. That way people don't have to guess what you did and you'll get accurate advice.

Latest posts

Back