Buttermilk, Egg Yolk and Lavender

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fyrja

Reaction score
No gorgeous swirls of color here. I kept this simple and sweet. It's a buttermilk cp with 1 egg yolk ppo and lavender essential oil. I pretended I was making a custard and tempered the egg yolks into the hot oils. I really expected it to turn green for a week or so, but as you can see it came out a nice cream color. I also was a little overzealous and popped a few out of the silicone mold too early, you can see the rough looking ones in the background. Then I put the mold into the freezer and they popped out as pretty as pie. I cannot wait until these are ready to use!

ButtermilkEggYolkandLavender.jpg

I love creamy looking light soaps like this. Have you used an egg soap before? What different qualites does it give the soap? I love what an egg can do for gravy :D , yummy. But tempering it in is a pain.

Lovely and creamy :) . Its hard to wait to get them out of the mould, I'm always in a hurry to cut and sometimes I should wait a bit longer. :(

I love the mould as well. It's a silicone mini bundt mould that my husband found at a local salvage store. I've been saving it to make pumpkin soaps for halloween, but thought it'd really be nice to set off a creamy ivory bar with it.

This is my first attempt at egg yolk soap, and I have to say I'm pleased. I've heard horror stories about people getting scrambled egg soap :p. But I make so many pies and custards at home that tempering in an egg just kind of seemed natural to me.

From everything I've read the egg yolk makes a nice thick lather and gives the bar more conditioning properties. I can't wait to try it in a few weeks! It is currently making my hallway closet smell fabulous!

Oh and here is a very informative thread on the subject of egg yolk soap. :-D

http://soapmakingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20060&highlight=egg

I love the little bundts! They are extremely cute and they do look creamy luscious lovely. I'm waiting for my first egg yolk batch to completely cure and can't wait to see how they are. Did your soap turn even slightly yellow from the yolk?

Hi newbie. Inititially when I was making the soap it was yellowish, but the next day it was the cream color you see in the photo. I have it curing now, so I'll be watching it as it cures to see if it changes color. :-D

Back