Burnt Milk Smell Fix?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adoptapitbull

Reaction score
I HP'ed a batch of soap that apparently got too hot, because it smells like burnt milk. I rebatched it and added more fragrance, but the smell lingers. It's nice soap, just stinky.

Are there any FOs out there that will cover this smell up? My cranberry and honeysuckle did not do the trick.

How old is the soap? I ask because if it's fairly new, a good cure usually takes care of weird smells like that, especially with milk soaps which can oftentimes smell like ammonia for 3 or 4 days or so after unmolding.

I don't know that I would keep adding more and more FO to your soap. They all have maximum usage rates and you wouldn't want to overload your soap.

How long have you cured it?

IrishLass :)

Originally it was Honeysuckle that had a hint of the burnt smell. Cured it about 2 months in hopes that it would disappear. Rebatched it 2 weeks ago with Cranberry (which I knew did well with rebatches) and though it smells a lot like Cranberry, I still smell the burn.

I've learned that goat milk and HP don't always go together :)

I tried a new HP technique yesterday, and so far so good. No burnt smell at all. Don't want to share it yet in case the soap misbehaves :)

Now if only I could find this stinky soap a home....

A random thought for your stinky: somebody was talking about liquid smoke. Add a little charcoal to have the colour match the smell!

Another random idea: camphor, if you have such a fragrance. I have a smoky camphorated product, which isn't unpleasant.

Back