Bulk Lye

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have found a new supplier near where I live that is .67 a pound. How does CPS compare to that price?

Bruce

Bigmoose said:
I have found a new supplier near where I live that is .67 a pound. How does CPS compare to that price?

Bruce

Well gee, Bigmoose, you have me beat. I paid twice that. $1.31lb.

Still a bargain compared to ordering over the internet and paying shipping charges. I've already sold several lbs to local (to me) soapers at cost. Washington, DC is not neither a rural or industrial area. Caustic Soda in bulk is a scarce commodity in these parts.

I'm sure that if you were to share your supplier lots of other soapers would be grateful for the info.

We don't have one of those. Do you order it through them, or do they stock it? Any idea what they use it for crops/farms? My local IFA farm store does not have it. Hmmm...maybe I will have to bug them.

I just called and asked, they had it in stock. 65.50 for a 50 lb bag. No idea what they use it for, I'll try to find out.

The place I am getting my lye from does not cover the entire US. Far from it. I will tell you how I found them. It starts with the yellow pages. I think I looked under chemical suppliers. These suppliers will insist you are a registered buisness with a tax ID #. You will find calling these big suppliers is not fun because they don't want to mess with the little guys like us. If they will talk just ask them how much. Some will not break a pallet and if they say that ask them if there is anyone they sell lye to who might sell just one 50 lb bag. Asking that question is how I found my new supplier, at $33.50 a 50 lb. bag. I don't know how much the potassium hydroxide is but I will need more of that within a few weeks and I will find out then. If you live near MI send me a PM and I will give you the contact info to my supplier. They do require you to fill out a customer profile that is about 7 pages long. I drive about 15 miles to get it at that price but my kids live in that direction so it is no big deal for me. Before finding this company I was driving 15 miles to buy it by the pound at $2.25.

Here is another thought. I sold at a large craft show 2 weeks ago and there was one other soaper. I talked to her for a short while and asked her how much she was paying for lye. She said .80 a pound and that she gets it from a pool chemical supplier who delivers it to her house for that price. She said she gets 100 lbs at a time and that will last her for the year.

Have a great day everyone!

Bruce

K- so I called everywhere I could think of, chemical supply, farm supply, etc. I finally had a guy from a local farm supply company that said, "yes! we have sulfuric acid!" :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Maybe they should feed that to the meth heads! 8)

Bruce,

It would be great if you would post the link so others could benefit :wink: .

Back