Brambleberry lotion kit

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stacey

Reaction score
I decided I wanted to try making lotion so I figured the easiest way to go about it was to purchase a kit. Everything was in it that I needed to give it a whirl.

http://www.brambleberry.com/Lotions-Kit ... P3293.aspx

I've been doing a lot of research on making lotions so I felt pretty confident making it. Reading this forum, Swiftcraftymonkey's blog etc. I felt like I had good basis of knowledge.

Here's the interesting thing: I followed Brambleberry's instructions to a T. But it didn't have a heat and hold period. :?: I followed the instructions all the while thinking in my head that it was wrong. No heat and hold? The instructions advise on using sterilized equipment and using a preservative (Phenonip) but nothing on "Heat and Hold".

Now my understanding of heat and hold is to kill any bacteria in your ingredients. Whether it's the distilled water or the oils they can still contain bacteria. Yes? Heat and hold is to guarantee clean ingredients.

Where the instruction wrong? Well maybe "wrong" isn't the correct word for it...but is it right? I was thinking that a company like Brambleberry would have only the correct process.

What are your thoughts on this?

Bump? :oops:

47 views and no one has an opinion or advice? :oops:

Does that mean you can make lotion without using heat and hold? Because if I can safely do so without heat and hold, I will.

It seems quicker and easier but does that mean it's safe? (Provided you use properly cleaned tools and a preservative.)

Thanks!

no, i have no advice to share. sorry. that's why I didn't respond.
don't take my lack of response, or advice, as an answer either way.

Hmm...that non-answer answer right there is interesting (intriguing?) enough. I always respect what you have to say Carebear.

Ok. I know what I'll do. I'll go with what my gut tells me....

Swiftcraftymonkey...here I come...gonna re-read the process.

Thanks!

You could email BB and ask why they don't include this step. I have found them very helpful and quick to respond when I needed assistance.

You have a very good point.

I have a healthy respect for all the B and B folks here on SMF and just wanted to get their opinion on it. Just because.

Just for giggles I might just e-mail Brambleberry. Just to see what they say about it.

Here is the response from Bramble Berry regarding my question:

"Thank you for emailing Brambleberry!

Great question! In our testing, we haven't had any problems with mold growth without holding the ingredients at a certain temperature, as long as we use preservatives. Some really important factors for making lotion turn out well in our experience is using distilled water (this helps prevent a lot of potential contamination issues), heating up the ingredients to the same temperature so that they will mix evenly, and using a proven preservative.

This tutorial from the Soap Queen blog goes over the lotion making process with lots of pictures:

http://www.soapqueen.com/bath-and-body- ... scratch-2/

and this method has been working wonderfully for us! You absolutely can follow the advice about holding your lotion ingredients at a high temperature for a little while, but if you're using distilled water and enough preservative, I would say it's not necessary.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions! :)

Bramble Berry!

Back