A way around heating and holding?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hellomimi

Reaction score
Hello. I plan on making a lotion using a cold emulsifier, however, even though I don’t need to heat and hold for emulsion stability, I’m worried about the bacteria in the water phase. If I use fresh and unopened distilled water, with no other items that would typically go in a heated water phase (ie. hydrosols), wouldn’t the water be nearly contaminant free and pretty safe to use? If my hypothesis is wrong I’ll heat and hold for sure, but I admit it is a bit of a pain.

For your own use? Or for selling/giving away? Is it using a cold-process emulsifier? I know if you are using sucragel (Glycerin (and) Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride (and) Aqua (and) Sucrose Laurate (and) Sucrose Stearate) you should not need to. There is the general argument that if you are using a stick blender at home you should be heating and holding.

Hello. I plan on making a lotion using a cold emulsifier, however, even though I don’t need to heat and hold for emulsion stability, I’m worried about the bacteria in the water phase. If I use fresh and unopened distilled water, with no other items that would typically go in a heated water phase (ie. hydrosols), wouldn’t the water be nearly contaminant free and pretty safe to use? If my hypothesis is wrong I’ll heat and hold for sure, but I admit it is a bit of a pain.
The distilled water that I buy actually says on the label, "NOT STERILE". I wouldn't count on the water being free of contaminants. If it's a cold emulsifier, what I would do is boil the water in a pot with a lid for several minutes, and then let it cool with the lid still on just until it comes down to room temperature, and then use it. Boil quite a bit more than you'll need, as you're still going to lose some to evaporation despite the lid.
Also of course make sure you have sanitized all your tools, utensils, and containers with diluted bleach or 70% isopropyl or ethyl alcohol before you start but that goes without saying. (Don't use 90 or 99% alcohol, as the water content is what makes the alcohol work.)

I heat the water and oil to the right temp. and hold it at the same temp. in my oven.
When using a cold emulsifier though, I'm not sure that the phases can be hot when mixed, like with a regular emulsifier. I have not used cold emulsifiers before.

For your own use? Or for selling/giving away? Is it using a cold-process emulsifier? I know if you are using sucragel (Glycerin (and) Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride (and) Aqua (and) Sucrose Laurate (and) Sucrose Stearate) you should not need to. There is the general argument that if you are using a stick blender at home you should be heating and holding.

it’s mostly for myself, though I do wanna make a bit for my kids to use

I daresay
it’s mostly for myself, though I do wanna make a bit for my kids to use
I don't boil my distilled water as I make it myself and because of length it's on the boil, I'm pretty sure it sterilises.

I daresay, you could get away without heating and holding. I am going to go out on a limb and say it is personal perspective.

I do cold emulsifying without it and to be honest I struggle to see why we are heating and holding. All information I've read seems to differ. There's arguments on both sides. Some people say that if you make it aat home, you should be heating and holding. Some others say it's not necessary (obviously you still need to heat some emulsifiers) and I think if you want to or don't, it's okay.

If it's for sterilisation purposes we have other tools at our disposal that effectively sterilise and if it's only heating to 70°c I don't think it's really sterilising as you need put something on rolling boil for a few minutes to sterilise correctly.

I use preservatives in anything that is water based even if it's for home use.

Oh I'm not completely sure but aren't most of the bacteria that are found in cosmetics still able to grow at higher temperatures.

Edit: clarifying

Last edited:
When using a cold emulsifier though, I'm not sure that the phases can be hot when mixed, like with a regular emulsifier. I have not used cold emulsifiers before.
The cold emulsifier can be mixed with oils and used at room temperature. I usually find it helpful to pre-melt my oil phase and allow it to cool to room temp. Then I only need to take what I need for a batch.

You will want to heat your water to a boil and hold it at boiling for 5-7 minutes before combining the two phases. After combining you will want your mixture to remain over 70degs C until your oils and emulsifiers are completely melted and blended in, and then you can stick blend for several minutes to completely bind everything together.

Heat and hold reduces bacteria etc through pasturization, the same thing they do for milk. Officially you only need like 20 seconds at 71-74 C but at least for me the temperature is anywhere between 65-75 C so a longer wait maximizes the effectiveness.

Some ingredients don't like high temperatures so boiling the phases isn't a good idea unless you know your stuff can take it. I think that's the main reason for heat and hold at 70 for 20 min, instead of boiling for 5 min. Also if you actually want to boil your phases, you have to do it in a oil bath or directly on the stow top as you can't boil anything in a boiling water. Heat transfer only gets other containers in a boiling water up to 95-98 C.

if you are distilling your own in sanitised equipment (I doubt many of us actually sterilise anything!) then you would be in a better position than using bottled distilled water.

are you not also heating oils and waiting for them to cool?

Latest posts

Back