Body Oil... use in place of a moisturizer

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loolee

Reaction score
My friend was telling me about a product made by Passions... or some company that sells *cough* personal pleasure items. They make a product that you use in place of moisturizer. Spray it on. Dry off. Be moisturized.

so.... If I wanted to do something like this, what percentages should I start with? Should I add hard oils, like shea or cocoa butter?

The bath oil I made came from Swift's blog:

BASIC BATH OIL RECIPE
78% oils of choice
20% polysorbate 80 (emulsifier)
2% fragrance or essential oil

So, I'm thinking that this will be very similar, but with water. Or should I add water? If you are wet when you spray it on, then maybe its not necessary.

I believe I will need oils, water, FO and poly 80.

Maybe 68% water, 20 %oil and 10% poly 80, 2% FO?

I'm not sure how much poly 80 is necessary for this.

All this has came from my own head as I don't know what it would be called to google it. so, if there is information out there, please tell me what words to google.

So, the questions I have are:
Should I add hard oils, like shea or cocoa butter?
Should I add water?
How much poly 80 should I use?
Terms I should google?

Thank you for your help!

Kind of sounds like the bath oil spray that avon has.
I wouldn't use water, that will just create more work for you like needing a preservative, emulsifier, etc.

I wouldn't add hard oils or butters either since then it won't spray.
I'd stick with light oils like FCO, PKO, Hazelnut, Jojoba, ETC.

Polysorbate 80 in this recipe I believe is to help bind the oils to your wet body since the spray is supposed to be used right after bathing.

I agree to keep this a water-free product. I make a lovely dry oil spray with cyclomethicone, FCO, IPM, and sesame oil. I spray it on damp skin after showering and it leaves me soft with glowy skin but is not greasy. The poly 80 in the bath oil recipe is used as a dispersant, to keep the oils from just sitting on top of the water in little puddles. I don't think it's necessary in the leave-on spray unless used in a small amount to emulsify your fragrance oils (though I believe poly 20 is better for that purpose? I always get my polys mixed up). HTH!

Mychelle, how much cyclo should I use? The usage is 3%-95%. Do you think 10% is enough? Or should it be much higher, like 50%?

By dry spray, you mean that you spray it on relatively dry skin?

Yes, the poly 20 is better for fragrance dispersement, but monkey's blog said that if you only get one, get the 80 b/c it will do both jobs whereas poly 20 will only do one job.

is this the IPM you are talking about? I've never used it before. http://www.lotioncrafter.com/lotioncrafter-ipm.html

Thank you both for your replies!

I use something similar to Mychelle's suggestion I use 33%each of cyclo, FCO, and sunflower oil. You have to play around a bit to find the right % for your skin type.

Thanks, Toni! I'll try your percentages and go from there!

I use about 25% cyclo and the rest FCO, Sesame and IPM. Yup, that's the product I buy - I love Lotioncrafter!

Latest posts

Back