Formulating a recipe for sunscreen

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone.
Few days ago I got a request to make a sun oil/butter for a before/after sunbathing.
So I started to check out the oils and properties of the butters and kind of came to conclusion to make a during sunbathing body butter and an after sunbathing body oil.
For the butter I would use carrot maceration, seabuckthorn seed oil, chilean raspberry oil and shea and/or cocoa butter. No essential oils.
For the body oil I would use avocado oil, camomile maceration, wheat germ oil aloe vera butter and calendula maceration. Maybe some EO with this one.

Now, where I got stuck is the actual formulation of the recipe, meaning percentages.
Looking at all the recipes around I just got confused. Some use so little of some oils, others so much.. I guess for the body butter the percentage of shea/cocoa would be very high compared to other oils, but again for the body oil should I go with equal parts of every oil or go high with some..? 🤔
Would any of you be so kind and help me out with maybe few good links or personal experience.
Thanks in advance đź’š

No matter what ingredients you use, if you can't test the SPF value, you can't really know the product you've made is an effective sunscreen, nor should you be claiming it is. People have gotten badly burned by using so-called sunscreens that have no SPF value at all.

Most if not all of the so-called sunscreen recipes floating around on the internet are based on wishful thinking, not on actual proven performance. Reputable sources, such as Susan of Swift Crafty Monkey and Jane Barber at Making Skincare, actively and strongly warn against making homemade sunscreen products for this reason.

Just to clarify, are you looking to make a sunscreen or a tanning oil/butter?
Sorry, I used sunscreen in the title as the translation from my language is a bit hard, we have different expressions for these products. I am looking to make a body butter for during the sunbathing and a body oil for after sunbathing.

No matter what ingredients you use, if you can't test the SPF value, you can't really know the product you've made is an effective sunscreen, nor should you be claiming it is. People have gotten badly burned by using so-called sunscreens that have no SPF value at all.

Most if not all of the so-called sunscreen recipes floating around on the internet are based on wishful thinking, not on actual proven performance. Reputable sources, such as Susan of Swift Crafty Monkey and Jane Barber at Making Skincare, actively and strongly warn against making homemade sunscreen products for this reason.
SPF wouldn't be something I would point out in the product (like SPF said to be in chilean raspberry oil is actually proven only in vitro)
Just looking to formulate something nourishing for the skin.

I love the sun and would be outdoors all summer long if I could! I mean no disrespect and want to choose my words carefully. Text can be misunderstood, and there are several foreign languages on this forum.

I am going to get on my soapbox (not sure how that translates into Croatian, I am going to preach) for a minute. Last week I had a stage 0 non-invasive melanoma removed, and a post-surgery negative pathology report. I am fortunate and thank the Almighty that it was the best case scenario for melanoma. I had to call my dermatologist twice to repeat herself because the only words I initially heard was "melanoma" and "surgery within a week."

In the last decade I've had several basal cell and squamous cell cancers removed. I freely tell people not because I want pity but I take every opportunity to remind people to use sunscreen, prevent sunburn, and to get regular skin-cancer screenings.

I am all for creating nourishing skin products but sunbathing is dangerous.

A nourishing oil is Kukui nut oil that Hawai'ians use for healing sunburn. It feels delicious on your skin. Jojoba and meadowfoam seed oil absorb quickly and feel great on your skin. I also like using wheatgerm oil in lotion bars. Some essential oils including several citrus scents increase the chance of sunburn which is why I don't use some EOs in leave-on products. I get safe usage rates from eocalc.com.

Best wishes,

I love the sun and would be outdoors all summer long if I could! I mean no disrespect and want to choose my words carefully. Text can be misunderstood, and there are several foreign languages on this forum.

I am going to get on my soapbox (not sure how that translates into Croatian, I am going to preach) for a minute. Last week I had a stage 0 non-invasive melanoma removed, and a post-surgery negative pathology report. I am fortunate and thank the Almighty that it was the best case scenario for melanoma. I had to call my dermatologist twice to repeat herself because the only words I initially heard was "melanoma" and "surgery within a week."

In the last decade I've had several basal cell and squamous cell cancers removed. I freely tell people not because I want pity but I take every opportunity to remind people to use sunscreen, prevent sunburn, and to get regular skin-cancer screenings.

A nourishing oil is Kukui nut oil that Hawai'ians use for healing sunburn. It feels delicious on your skin. Jojoba and meadowfoam seed oil absorb quickly and feel great on your skin. I also like using wheatgerm oil in lotion bars. Some essential oils including several citrus scents increase the chance of sunburn which is why I don't use some EOs in leave-on products. I get safe usage rates from eocalc.com.

Best wishes,
Agree and glad your pathology report was negative. “No tan is a good tan.”

Sorry, I used sunscreen in the title as the translation from my language is a bit hard, we have different expressions for these products. I am looking to make a body butter for during the sunbathing and a body oil for after sunbathing....

Thank you for clarifying what you meant! That's good to know.

Best wishes,
I'm with you on the above info, I tell people all the time to get checked for skin cancers, Australia has one of the highest rates of skin cancer in the world. I have had decades of bcc's cut out. The last was a bcc, but before that it was a melanoma and like you all I heard from the dr was melanoma, it was cut out a week later. I just happen to have an appt.this coming Wednesday for a checkup ( I hate going, I get very worked up). Probably will need liquid nitrogen this time around on my face, had a biopsy before, it's in the spot of the scar.I have a reminder every day of a large scar across my whole cheek to keep me in check to stay out of the sun.

I was burnt very badly as a baby from the sun, with blisters, taken to hospital, bandaged, the dr said the skin cancers I am getting now are from the first 20 yrs of my life, so it takes a while but they do come back. I use commercial moisturising lotion on my skin and don't deviate from that now.
I'd be outside too all day long, but can't, when I go swimming it's only an hour at the water and that's with a rash shirt, hat, sunscreen, I get out of the water dry off, no sunbathing, find shade and usually it's morning, not in the middle of the day.

I'm with you on the above info, I tell people all the time to get checked for skin cancers, Australia has one of the highest rates of skin cancer in the world. I have had decades of bcc's cut out. The last was a bcc, but before that it was a melanoma and like you all I heard from the dr was melanoma, it was cut out a week later. I just happen to have an appt.this coming Wednesday for a checkup ( I hate going, I get very worked up). Probably will need liquid nitrogen this time around on my face, had a biopsy before, it's in the spot of the scar.I have a reminder every day of a large scar across my whole cheek to keep me in check to stay out of the sun.

I was burn't very badly as a baby from the sun, with blisters,taken to hospital,q bandaged, the dr said the skin cancers I am getting now are from the first 20 yrs of my life, so it takes a while bur they do come back. I use commercial moisturising lotion on my skin and don't deviate from that now.
I'd be outside too all day long, but can't, when I go swimming it's only an hour at the water and that's with a rash shirt, hat, sunscreen, I get out of the water dry off, no sunbathing, find shade and usually it's morning, not in the middle of the day.
Sounds like you have been through it! I've heard that Australia has high rates and am glad to hear you are on top of it. Good luck on Wednesday. I don't get worked up about screenings but Mrs. Zing sure does so I get it. Sorry about the scarring. I like to think my scars make me look like a bada-- macho man but not everyone can use that rationale. Take care,

Glad your path results are negative, the dermatologist I have takes big margins to get it all. I had acupuncture for a year on the scar on my face to reduce the appearance of it. Scars don't really worry me, I don't care what others think, I'm here to tell the tale, that's more important.

I had a melanoma removed from my nose 30 years ago or so. I get checked out regularly. No recurrance so far. YAY!

I am a sun worshiper. I like to tan slowly to avoid burning. I've spent years trying to find something that worked, while at the same time getting my daily 20 minutes of "unprotected" sun to boost vitamin D. That's important for a healthy immune system.

Long story short, after fiddling around with zinc oxide (sunblock) and titanium dioxide (sunscreen) with unsatisfactory results, I developed a Sun Stick in a tube for easy application. The secret to my success was purchasing the least expensive OTC sun lotion that protected against both UVB (B for burning) and UVA (A for Aging) rays.

I combined the lotion 50/50 with body butter that contained nourishing oils. For years, Hubby played golf in the Colorado sun for 6 hours and never burned. He did tan slowly over the summer. Nice.

You can aim for whatever SPF you want to end up with. For me, SPF 15 lotion worked as 50% of the Sun Stick ingredients. Not for selling. Just personal use.

HTH

Last edited:
Sounds like you have been through it! I've heard that Australia has high rates and am glad to hear you are on top of it. Good luck on Wednesday. I don't get worked up about screenings but Mrs. Zing sure does so I get it. Sorry about the scarring. I like to think my scars make me look like a bada-- macho man but not everyone can use that rationale. Take care,
Update - I thought I'd get out of it without further surgery. Nooo, I expected the liquid nitrogen on my face, use to that now, but she found 2 bcc's, one on my back near my spine and one near my right eye. Just got them cut out last week, had stitches removed from my face yesterday, the back ones come out next week, they stay in 2 weeks. She got the lot, so, happy about that. I still feel wiped out, getting some pain, vision a bit strange, but it will work itself out. Just need to keep the dressing changed on my back daily and the steri strips on my eye one, dry for a few more days. I'll be back there in December for another checkup.

Update - I thought I'd get out of it without further surgery. Nooo, I expected the liquid nitrogen on my face, use to that now, but she found 2 bcc's, one on my back near my spine and one near my right eye. Just got them cut out last week, had stitches removed from my face yesterday, the back ones come out next week, they stay in 2 weeks. She got the lot, so, happy about that. I still feel wiped out, getting some pain, vision a bit strange, but it will work itself out. Just need to keep the dressing changed on my back daily and the steri strips on my eye one, dry for a few more days. I'll be back there in December for another checkup.
Sending prayers and good vibes for healing!

I'm sure that some people will squawk about this but I'm going to say it anyways, because I know it works. Take it or leave it, free choice :) This is in reference to sun damage & skin cancers people are speaking about.

In regards to healing - YES I used the H word - sun damage or any damage to the skin, comfrey can be your best friend. Ir regenerates fresh, new skin cells very quickly. Allantoin was originally derived from comfrey, although I believe that most of it is now lab-created from uric acid. We are now getting a chemical-based version of allantoin, not derived from comfrey. I prefer to use the plant as it is very powerful, the leaves, flowers & roots. I use comfrey infused oil for myself, and in some of my products, where appropriate. I base the word 'appropriate' on my experience working with plants for many years. It is far more effective than aloe vera for the purpose of regenerating healthy, undamaged skin.

Get some comfrey leaves, smash them up really well. You will notice the mucilaginous quality to this plant matter as the leaves begin releasing their compounds. Sandwich this green paste between 2 pieces of cheesecloth. Apply this 'sandwich' of paste to the skin, pressing down gently so it is in direct contact with the skin. Cover this with a cool, damp cloth to prevent things from drying out. Let sit & penetrate for as long as possible. Gently remove when done. Apply some comfrey infused oil to finish things off. I do this for sun burns. When I don't have time for the leaf paste, I just use the infused oil. The burn is always nearly 100% resolved by the next day. My grandparents on both sides of my family did this for sun burns, and they worked outside all day during blistering hot summers all of their lives. Nobody got skin cancer. Nobody even experienced horrible sun burns because of their traditionally use of this plant.

Never apply comfrey to skin which is not clean, or a wound which may have not been properly cleaned / flushed out. It speeds healing - yep, there's the H word again - so quickly that it can seal in specs of debris under the newly formed skin, which could potentially lead to infection. I experienced an issue when I slashed myself with a knife quite deeply over a knuckle while in the bush, and mistakenly thought the wound was clean, then applied comfrey & wrapped with a bandage. It healed incredibly quickly, but I should have cleaned it out better. I didn't experience an infection, but it felt like an uncomfortable, sensitive little bump under the skin while my body was dealing with the tiny bit of foreign matter than got trapped underneath. It disappeared within a week or so, and I don't have a scar despite the fact that the wound was deep, bled like a mother, and was very painful because I hit the bone. Had I gone to the hospital, they would have insisted on stitches, so I chose not to go. I haven't had any issues with this hand since that injury healed with the help of comfrey.

Having debris trapped under the skin is not so much of a concern on the face / other parts of the body which are not extremities, but nonetheless, if you have any sunscreen still on your skin, dirt, plant matter, or anything else, clean it off first before applying the comfrey.

As I said, take it or leave it. Personally, I would opt for a far less invasive method of clearing things up before allowing anyone to slice & dice my body, for any reason.

@Relle i just found this thread. Hope your December checkup went well. Thankfully I haven’t had many issues, although I have had a few spots removed. My husband has unfortunately had more serious spots so it’s definitely a concern in our home. Just wanted to let you know I am thinking of you.

@Relle i just found this thread. Hope your December checkup went well. Thankfully I haven’t had many issues, although I have had a few spots removed. My husband has unfortunately had more serious spots so it’s definitely a concern in our home. Just wanted to let you know I am thinking of you.
Thanks for the thoughts, hope your hubby is o.k.

No, didn't go well, I'm going back on the Monday 8th Jan, for a biopsy on my face again, she doesn't like the look of it. She could have done it last week, but they were closing for 1 1/2 weeks and I need to go back in 5 days to get stitches out.

Thanks for the thoughts, hope your hubby is o.k.

No, didn't go well, I'm going back on the Monday 8th Jan, for a biopsy on my face again, she doesn't like the look of it. She could have done it last week, but they were closing for 1 1/2 weeks and I need to go back in 5 days to get stitches out.
I am so sorry to hear that. You will be in my thoughts. I hope the biopsy goes well and you heal quickly.
Thank you for your thoughts. My hubby is good, on a 6 month recheck schedule, probably for life.

I am so sorry to hear that. You will be in my thoughts. I hope the biopsy goes well and you heal quickly.
Thank you for your thoughts. My hubby is good, on a 6 month recheck schedule, probably for life.
Had the biopsies Monday, stitches out today, not good, it's a melanoma. Doctor won't do it, she's sending me to a plastic surgeon who I see in 2wks. Like your hubby, I'm on a 6 month checkup, couldn't get in for June so have been pushed back until July. I think by then I will have had enough of doctors.

Latest posts

Back