Big Loaf

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donniej

Reaction score
Pouring each batch into numerous molds has been getting burdensome, especially with increasing batch size. This was a test run intended to work out the kinks. It yielded 200 bars of clove, which are now drying 8)

Using HDPE film stuck to a wooden mold didn't release as well as I had hoped, so it's back to the drawing board on that one. It was however easier to cut than I expected. I also feared that being tall it might want to fall over but was very stable.

bigloaf.jpg

That is a lot of soap! I just love the smell of clove and would love to be next to that big block right now. :)

Thanks everybody!
It does smell great but is very over powering for the first day or two. I keep the window cracked to keep the scent from getting too strong.

Its weight is around 75 pounds.

Wow! I can't imagine having to cut all that soap! :D It almost looks like something you'd see in a modern art museum :lol: Well done donniej!

Wow, that is a big piece of soap! I usually make a 8 kg or 16 kg batch. Easy to make, but not too big. Gives me 70 or 140 bars of soap.
Wouls love to see the mold you had for that!
I make my own out of wood, and line them with plastic foil.
Good luck!

Interesting!

Where I cure smells good---I bet your whole block smells good!

DH is reading over my shoulder and wants to know how you cut that - what equipment you use?

albo said:
DH is reading over my shoulder and wants to know how you cut that - what equipment you use?

Stainless steel wire. In my early days I tried all sorts of knives.... none worked. Stainless steel wire works best, thinner is better.

so something that size, you'd pretty much just have to free-hand with the wire? there wouldn't be any kind of cutting frame (ie, tank style) that large would there?

not that I'm considering making such a big log, I'm just fascinated by the processes involved.

I've seen a guy on utube cutting blocks that big. He has a table set up with the wire & a frame attached to the table. A guide to the side & he pushes the soap thru along the guide. Looked easy but i bet its harder than it seems.

AWESOME block of soap!!!!!

Ah, so you can make huge blocks, then.
I've been reading how you should always keep it small and was'nt impressed.
8{
My mold is a cube but I only fill it up on bar high.
Now I shall quadruple my recipe and bung it all in my big mold!
Heeeheee heeee!

Latest posts

Back