BEWARE OF PAPRIKA! - Pics posted!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

debbism

Reaction score
Holy crap! I was going to post a video of tonight's column pour BUT we experienced some paprika related chaos.

We used a slow tracing recipe - made half using nettle infused oils and half with paprika infused oils. The nettles was even slower than usual to trace while the paprika accelerated and riced...I had to keep stirring it down to keep it smooth.

So it ended up being a gloppy pour for the paprika and a smooth pour for the nettles. Then we just swirled it with the flat wide stick like last time. I will try to upload the video.....it is really crappy quality as it was shot on my canon and NOT my phone like last night's pour.

I had no idea an infusion of something natural would do that. That sucks! It sounds like you still got it to work. Can't wait to watch the video.

OK....here is the footage of the column fiasco. I think it will still turn out interesting though

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtSxFx605RI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtSxFx605RI[/ame]

I just used paprika for the soaps I made yesterday, and the day before. Yesterday I wanted 'brick' color, so I used about 20% oil infused paprika. The day before, I used around 4% oil infused paprika for a delightful rose color.

When I used the larger concentration (yesterday) I did notice getting trace a bit faster than usual. Nothing like a seize though. Just a little thicker pouring in the mold. I was glad, since rosemary, marjoram, spearmint oil infusions SLOW down trace, and quite a bit. My stick blender gets so hot I worry it is going to give up on me.

When I used it at 4% I did not notice any effect on trace.

I suppose his would interfere with a swirl. Big bummer since Paprika would be one of the colorants I would want to use in a swirl. It is so beautiful. It would probably still work in a very low concentration though. Did you use oil infusion or powder?

Sorry this happened to your swirl!

Soapy Gurl said:
I had no idea an infusion of something natural would do that. That sucks! It sounds like you still got it to work. Can't wait to watch the video.
just another example of how natural doesn't mean benign, low impact, etc.

I think the error was that I used it at 20% instead of the usual 11%. We wanted a deeper color that would retain some color after fading or resist fading - 11% fades to such a pale shade of peach.

Well, no matter.....even though it did not come out the way we planned, i think it will still be pretty awesome.

Once again, proof that every batch is an adventure no matter how many batches you have under your belt.

It looks like you had a good save! I bet it will look great in spite of the fail. :)

Was your stickblender on in that clip, or was it off and you were just using it to hand-stir? It's hard to tell what was going on without hearing the real-time audio, but with your soap thickening up like that, I hope it was in the off position. When I saw you grab the stickblender, inside I was yelling , "Noooooo! Oh please be off!" :lol:

IrishLass :)

Who needs a column when you've got such an interesting pouring technique?

Really, column put aside, paprika doesn't look impossible to work with.

Really interesting, and nice to know, since I'm infusing some paprika oil. I suppose a way to still have a lot of color would be to have a different recipe for each color, with the green being a low O.O.version, and the paprika being high or pure O.O., since that can take so long to trace.

If the paprika recipe had more water in it than the green, (to delay trace) would that be weird for the finished soap?

Please, please post photos of the cut soap! I need to see what that swirl looks like!

I was also thinking about adding more water to the paprika side. I mean if I ever use it to swirl.

When I had the faster trace with paprika it was a lot darker than this.

IrishLass said:
It looks like you had a good save! I bet it will look great in spite of the fail. :)

Was your stickblender on in that clip, or was it off and you were just using it to hand-stir? It's hard to tell what was going on without hearing the real-time audio, but with your soap thickening up like that, I hope it was in the off position. When I saw you grab the stickblender, inside I was yelling , "Noooooo! Oh please be off!" :lol:

IrishLass :)

It was off - I was just using it because it was already covered in soap. We overlaid music on the videos because of all the background noise.

Next time, we will plan ahead and have some narration or at least something witty to say!!!!!!

i think it'll turn out great. i bet the pattern is loverly. sorry the paprika riced, that is really frusterating.

thanks for sharing the video.

Here are the pics - just cut them. The light in the room is a little bit bright so they look more washed out than they really are

20120113091252.jpg

20120113092125.jpg

Back