Planer and Beveler - updated recommendations?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After another week with the planer, here are a few more observations. Even though the cutting depth is only 1/16th of an inch, that’s a fair amount of soap for the size bars I make. My Plan B is to plan for planing! I have also discovered that planing is not a good way to “square up” a soap bar. The planer is well designed to cut a uniform slice of soap from whatever edge is being planed. If the sides weren’t square to begin with, they’re not going to be square after planing.

Although there’s more waste, and the planer can’t compensate for my bad slab cutting skills, planing and beveling definitely produce prettier soap.

To date, I have resisted buying a slab splitter, but we know how that goes when you have soap mania :eek:

how big is your slab? mine is just 8x8x1, so I don't think it would be too hard to make one for it. at least not if I make the bars square--I am thinking I could do one cut and turn the cutter to make the next cut. I have also been thinking of making my mold into a 8x8x2. I really like doing column pours and have only done them in my slab mold

My wood slab is about the same size and I also have a smaller box that I use. I agree that it shouldn’t be too hard to make a basic cutter. We have a bunch of wood pieces in our garage but it’s been so hot and buggy this summer that I haven’t been inspired to go down to see what I can come up with. I think the only real challenge would be making it adjustable, which is a nice feature.

Great! How did you attach the wire?

20190203_205516.jpg eye hooks--they dig into the wood a little bit on the edges so when I change them out I don't have to measure again--I used cedar but I think any soft wood would work

Attachments

• C363430E-DDAB-4B3E-8BE8-E5566D4FC67D.jpeg
    C363430E-DDAB-4B3E-8BE8-E5566D4FC67D.jpeg
    321.4 KB · Views: 26
I bought the combo acrylic planet/beveled with the 45* side.
It cuts really well but is too deep for me so I’ve put a piece of hard plastic <1 mm thick on the bottom part of the planer (reducing the cut to the tiniest cut) and it’s great.

I had a timber/metal blade adjustable one but the blade moved every so often no matter how tight DH set it. It also rusted eventually even though I washed and dried it regularly.

It cuts really well but is too deep for me so I’ve put a piece of hard plastic <1 mm thick on the bottom part of the planer (reducing the cut to the tiniest cut) and it’s great.

I had a timber/metal blade adjustable one but the blade moved every so often no matter how tight DH set it. It also rusted eventually even though I washed and dried it regularly.
That’s a great idea! I’m often taking off more soap than is necessary to get a clean surface.

I bought a wood planer/beveler from Amazon. Not super high quality, but it works...though I need more practice and to readjust the blade a tinny bit. Did make some awesome soap curls from end pieces. They will make for some cute embeds.

I searched around trying to find a thin piece of plastic that would work to reduce the depth of the cut for my planer, but never found one thin enough. Today I thought “I need it to be as thin as paper...”. Paper it is! This works! And it’s easy to adjust by changing the number of sheets of paper. I pushed the soap, on the paper, from right to left relative to the orientation of this photo of the planer.

AB8D366A-67AF-48E7-9DB5-D071CBEB0F7A.jpeg

Latest posts

Back