Best price for flax oil?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Obsidian

Reaction score
I'm going to start oil painting and will need flax/linseed oil but its pretty expensive. I'm hoping a cosmetic grade might be less but I don't know where to look.

I'm going to start oil painting and will need flax/linseed oil but its pretty expensive. I'm hoping a cosmetic grade might be less but I don't know where to look.
For oil painting, you should be able to find linseed oil at Home Depot, maybe Walmart or an Art Supply store or at Dick Blick's online. For Flaxseed, which is refined, it should be available at any health food store... very good for the heart. I buy it at Sprouts close to home.

ETA: I just googled Flaxseed Oil and Linseed Oil plus my ZipCode and found lots of places close by. Linseed oil is cheaper. Dick Blick online has the best selection.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link to blicks, has a lot of stuff I was looking for.
I think I'll try walnut oil instead of linseed. It doesn't smell as bad and is a little cheaper.

I think I'll try walnut oil instead of linseed.
Walnut oil is also highly recommended for mature skin. Lovely stuff. Has a short shelf life, tho, if I remember correctly. You might want to check that out. Linseed is a work horse and lasts "forever" if you get the boiled kind, which is what I use on my teak wood furniture. :)

You can't use boiled for oil painting, not sure why but its different. I need the refined which is more.
I really won't use a lot of it, a 4 oz bottle would probably last for years.

I wonder about the shelf life of walnut. Some painters talk about it going rancid but others have no issue.
I know it was used by some of the great artist so it works well but last thing I want is a bottle of rancid oil.

Maybe I should stick to the old stand bys until I know if I'll even like or be able to paint.

I did find out I can use safflower oil to clean hands and brushes. Thats great since its incredible cheap and safe. Trying to find ways to do this affordable and without too much nasty solvents.

Ya know? You might be able to add some ROE to the walnut to extend shelf life??? That's what I would do. Also, back in the day, I used soap to clean brushes. Just swirl the brush on the bar to load the lather, massage, rinse thoroughly. Shape by pulling it through your wrapped hand gently around the bristles.

Safflower oil is good to know. I still want to try it in soap.

Are you planning on painting pics of soap? Ha ha. Landscapes? Portraits? What? I had a high school classmate that went on the road after graduation to "paint houses". She would literally set up in front of someone's house and then sell the painting to the owner when it was finished. Ah, talk about entrepreneurship! Those were the days when people actually stayed put in their homes and cherished them.

I like walnut oil for cooking, and so it doesn't have a chance to go rancid in my house. But if you keep in your painting supplies, it would probably not last long enough, even with ROE. Although I usually buy it in small bottles in the grocery store, rather than as soaping oil in 7 pound bottles.

It is suggested to refrigerate after opening, but I keep it near my stove, otherwise I would forget to use it in cooking. And if you were to refrigerate it, would it be convenient for your studio (or where ever you paint)?

I seen that there is "artist soap" which is just lye soap. I even found the formula for one, surprisingly, its mostly OO.

Lol, I never thought about painting soap but now I will have to try. I really have a thing for sunsets and space, maybe abstracts too.

No portraits, I'm awful with faces and eyes. I plan to practice with pencil though, maybe someday I'll be ok.

I don't have a studio. Plan on cleaning out the spare room so I can use it. Would love a she shed to use in the summer, but that would come much later.

I'll not use walnut for now unless I grind my own pigments. Thats something I really want the do but the glass mullers are pricey.

Latest posts

Back