Best cutting system?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrKleen

Reaction score
I've used a cutting mold from ebay, I knew it was wonky from the beginning since the floor slide making the soap shift during a cut. So the top might be perfect but be wider at the end. Aggravating. The system i have is only getting worse. So what system or technique do you all use?

A 12" ruler and a crinkle soapcutter. I tried a wood/piano string soap cutter which does fine but does not cut 1" bars so I am always left with a little bit of a bar. I went back to my ruler and it takes seconds to cut and looks nice.

I did by hand and am not all that good at it even with a block to work with. There were always a few bars that were a little off between the top and bottom and my OCD couldn't handle it. My piano string cutter arrived today and I like it so far. :)
It's 1 in. cuts which I asked for and seems to work well. The strings I'm still playing with but the seller is a good communicator so figure if I have problems I can ask him.

One of the Soaping 101 videos shows the women using a cheese slicer. She was getting really nice, straight bars. Makes me kick myself for not getting the pretty myrtlewood ones that were on sale everywhere on the Oregon coast. I'm sure I can get a regular cheese slicer somewhere but the myrtlewood ones had a bit of uniqueness to them.

images

9k=

Last edited:
I wonder how wood and that one differ? Buds is very well made and looks like that but $100 less. Think it will not last as long?

Like it says, the tank is a commercial cutter.
The wooden ones are just fine when you're not producing on a large scale.

I use a cheese slicer as shown above and I've marked the board with a red line 1 inch across so I can measure easy. Much rather the wire cut to a knife. I only make small batches however.

I just made myself a flat, single wire cutting system with a sliding table. I can slide the soap into the wire and it makes nice smooth cuts. I adjust the size of the slice by moving the soap. I can cut up to 4" wide. I couldn't stomach the idea of buying two cutters, one for slab mold and one for loaf molds. I use both, depending on which soap I'm making. I haven't seen any cutters that will effectively cut both. I created it so I can fit a rather large slab. The "tank" style look like great cutters, but for the money I didn't want to always be locked into one size of a slice.

I did by hand and am not all that good at it even with a block to work with. There were always a few bars that were a little off between the top and bottom and my OCD couldn't handle it. My piano string cutter arrived today and I like it so far. :)
It's 1 in. cuts which I asked for and seems to work well. The strings I'm still playing with but the seller is a good communicator so figure if I have problems I can ask him.

Where did you purchase it from and if you don't mind how much? I am in the market for one.

I just made myself a flat, single wire cutting system with a sliding table. I can slide the soap into the wire and it makes nice smooth cuts. I adjust the size of the slice by moving the soap. I can cut up to 4" wide. I couldn't stomach the idea of buying two cutters, one for slab mold and one for loaf molds. I use both, depending on which soap I'm making. I haven't seen any cutters that will effectively cut both. I created it so I can fit a rather large slab. The "tank" style look like great cutters, but for the money I didn't want to always be locked into one size of a slice.

Would you mind sending a photo and some instruction I would like to try to make one too. ([email protected]) Or having the hubby try to make one, he is good with that sort of stuff.

Would you mind sending a photo and some instruction I would like to try to make one too. ([email protected]) Or having the hubby try to make one, he is good with that sort of stuff.

Well I tried to but can't figure out how to post a photo. Maybe if someone pointed me in the direction of the instructions on how to do this, or explained I could give it a whirl. Thanks

Thank you so much, the piano wire framed ones look nice. Anyone ever try to make their own piano wire multi-bar cutter? I might try that.

Mkrainville.. Mine is the from Bud on Etsy. Same link as you have above. Stargazer and I have the same I think. Mine is the $165 one.

MrKleen this one here is quite intricate if your good with tools.. Maybe so. :)

I have the one from Bud Haffner and love it! It's sturdy and very well made. No more wonky cuts.

Latest posts

Back