Beer soap process

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just like soaping in general, I think it's great that everyone has a different way of making beer soap that they love that works well! I make mine by putting the beer in an open container (no pun intended) for at least 24 hours and stirring it whenever I remember just to see if the carbonation is gone. I use the beer for all of my water and I also soap at room temperature (very important so things don't overheat). When I add the lye to the beer, I make sure the beer has just come out of the fridge...I've just been too lazy to freeze it first. I also add dried ground hops to my recipe. Whole hops would be scratchy, but when they're ground to a powder they're pretty soft.

Great thread! I usually use a 50/50 water/lye solution, then add flat, cold beer for the rest of my liquid. I haven't been boiling it down, but I think I'll give it a try after reading this thread.

Just like soaping in general, I think it's great that everyone has a different way of making beer soap that they love that works well! I make mine by putting the beer in an open container (no pun intended) for at least 24 hours and stirring it whenever I remember just to see if the carbonation is gone. I use the beer for all of my water and I also soap at room temperature (very important so things don't overheat). When I add the lye to the beer, I make sure the beer has just come out of the fridge...I've just been too lazy to freeze it first. I also add dried ground hops to my recipe. Whole hops would be scratchy, but when they're ground to a powder they're pretty soft.

SageontheMountain, do you find that the hops have any exfoliating effects, or is it more for visual interest? Also, would you recommend any specific type of hops over another? I think Bulk Apothecary had a big sale on hops recently, but I was so daunted by the options that I didn't buy any! LOL

SageontheMountain, do you find that the hops have any exfoliating effects, or is it more for visual interest? Also, would you recommend any specific type of hops over another? I think Bulk Apothecary had a big sale on hops recently, but I was so daunted by the options that I didn't buy any! LOL

SplendorSoaps, the hops don't have any exfoliating effects just because they're so soft and ground too finely. I add them for their benefits (which, I guess, may be debatable whether or not they survive saponification). I just like their addition in the beer soap, so there's double hoppyness :)

I get my hops at a local herb shop in Seattle that sources most of their herbs locally. I think they're Cascade hops, but it's not labeled on any of my packages from them. I would just look at the profiles of the hops and see which ones sound like they'd blend well with your beers and scents.

It looks like you're not too far from Seattle either. I'm just north. Howdy! :)

I've tried both reducing the beer to a syrup and adding at trace (part water replacement), and simmering off the alcohol and carbonation and freezing the beer into ice cubes (full water replacement). It's a little nicer the first way, as the beer and lye concoction is pretty stinky, but I do kind-of prefer the ease of replacing the full amount of water with beer rather than splitting the weights.

Interested by the idea of adding whole hops on top. Might have to talk to my local brewery about that! I worked there over the summer, so I'm hoping to strike some sort of deal where they provide the beer for free and they can have some soap in exchange haha.

SplendorSoaps, the hops don't have any exfoliating effects just because they're so soft and ground too finely. I add them for their benefits (which, I guess, may be debatable whether or not they survive saponification). I just like their addition in the beer soap, so there's double hoppyness :)

I get my hops at a local herb shop in Seattle that sources most of their herbs locally. I think they're Cascade hops, but it's not labeled on any of my packages from them. I would just look at the profiles of the hops and see which ones sound like they'd blend well with your beers and scents.

It looks like you're not too far from Seattle either. I'm just north. Howdy! :)

Thanks for the input! I'm in Des Moines, just south of Seattle. It's nice to get in touch with another local soap maker! :)

Sage, do you still get the hoppy aroma eith your method or would a concentrated method provide more beer quality to the soap?

Sage, do you still get the hoppy aroma eith your method or would a concentrated method provide more beer quality to the soap?

Not Sage, but I've tried both methods and don't seem to get a hoppy aroma with either. The beer scent doesn't really survive the lye monster, for me at least. I've used black ale, and super hoppy beer similar to an IPA.

Might have to talk to my local brewery about that! I worked there over the summer, so I'm hoping to strike some sort of deal where they provide the beer for free and they can have some soap in exchange haha.

Oh! That's a good idea - I have a local brew pub here too. I love the brew - don't know how I missed the idear of using their beer for soaps... [insert forehead slap here]

Anyone have experience with using beer and pumpkin puree in the same bar? I'm experimenting with pumpkin next week and a pumpkin beer bar is on my agenda. Really wondering if there's a double whammy with the beer and puree together that I should watch out for.

I agree with spenny that most of the "beer scent" doesn't survive the soap-making process. I don't smell beer in my finished product (neither do the majority of my customers), but a small percentage smell, or claim to smell, beer. It's usually those who don't like the smell of beer, however! :)
I've never used the concentrated method, so I can't fairly compare the two. When I sniff my beer soaps, I smell the essential oils plus a rich earthy complementary underlying scent from the beer. I tend to pick ingredients that blend well with the type of beer I'm using too, so oftentimes I think what's happening is that the ground hops and beer get mixed up, however not lost, in the recipe. For example, I make a soap with a Hefeweizen that I add ground lemon peel, ground hops, lemon and basil essential oils. So, I think that if I were making the same soap with only hef and ground hops, the beer and hops scent would be more overt.
Hope that helps...sorry it was a bit long-winded :)

"...a rich earthy complementary underlying scent from the beer..."

Very well put, Sage. That's what I notice when I smell my beer soaps, especially the younger ones. Hoppy beers seem to have more of this undertone, but the odor mellows a lot during cure.

Another reason to boil it down is to get more of the beer goodness and scent in there. I used a whole big bottle of Arrogant Bastard in an unscented 2 lb batch, and it still smells hoppy and wonderful. Plus then you can do fun things with two toning it if you like

Did you use mica for the two tone? This is beautiful!

Did you use mica for the two tone? This is beautiful!

There is no color added to that soap - those colors came from the plain beer and the cooked down beer. I have no idea where that line came from, but if I had to guess its from the different concentrations of the liquid in the two parts, like Auntie Clara gets with her water discounts.

I guess I'm going to try this again. My biggest mistake for the beer soap was assuming that I could just up and make one (I actually had no idea that beer was carbonated) so easily. I'm glad it appears that beer reductions are better. I'm sure it might be cringe worthy to do it on a regular stove, I'm reducing some hard cider and beers in the future.

Anyone have experience with using beer and pumpkin puree in the same bar?

You've probably already made your soap but I'll post my (limited) experience.

I homebrew and have been experimenting with using the yeast/hops/protein sediment at the bottom of a carboy after fermentation. I once soaped a batch with beer, the sediment as 10% of the batch size by weight and some dried barley husks that turned out great!

I recently made a batch of soap with the sediment of a pumpkin ale I brewed (pumpkin guts, yeast and all) and it took 5 days to harden enough to remove from the mold. It is still soft after 2 weeks curing. I'm thinking it was the pumpkin that's making it soft.. Any thoughts on this?

Recipe is

32oz extra virgin olive oil (the kind you buy at the grocery store)
8oz coconut oil 76F

5.4 oz 100% lye
13.2oz distilled water

Mixed at ~110F and once it reached light trace I added

4oz of the pumpkin puree/yeast cake
1/2 tsp cinnamon EO
1/4 tsp clove EO
1/8 tsp vanilla EO
1/8 tsp anise EO
Couple good shakes of ground cinnamon for texture

Let me know what you guys think. Next time I might use less water and let the yeast cake (which has beer in it) make up the extra.

I have a freezer full of whole hops, but have yet to use them in soap. If you use a really hoppy APA and concentrate at least half of it down, the smell will stick in my experience. Just watch for acceleration :)

Edit to add: I would absolutely not add whole hops to the soap, they would go brown and look like mouse poop (like lavender does). Perhaps some on top might look cute, but expect them to go brown.

Whole hops doesn't go brown. We make a hop head soap made with beer from a local brewery.

The whole hops is pushed into the top of the bar. I wouldn't consider putting hops in the soap, way too scratchy.

The very reason I started making soaps was because I wanted to make beer and hops soaps. My second batch of soap ever was very...ambitious, shall we say, and didn't turn out in any way as I wanted. Still good soap that we're using for hand washing, but not "beery" at all.

This may be a long post, so in good journalism style I'll give you the conclusions first and the details second: First, whole hops very definitely turn to brown mouse turds when put into the batter, and they are very rough. Second, I could not get any hop character at all in spite of using a very hoppy IPA, infusing hops in oil, and adding whole leaf hops. Finally, adding crystal malt turned the soap into a dessert soap, not a beer soap.

I set out to tick every "beer" box with this soap. I chose a very respectable, hoppy, American IPA, boiled it down enough to remove alcohol and carbonation (but not TOO much as the hop aroma compounds turn to bittering compounds with longer exposure to heat) then froze it. It was 100% of my liquid for the recipe.

Meanwhile, I did a hot extraction with about 2 oz of Centennial hop pellets in 8 oz of apricot kernel oil. Pellets are very compressed and are stingy about giving back solvents, so I only ended up with 6 oz of oil after squeezing. It was VERY dark yellow-green, very fragrant oil. It was "dank" with hop goodness. That made up 15% of total oils in the batch with the rest being a relatively typical mix of lard, coconut, and olive with a splash of castor and avocado. The oils before adding the lye were a beautiful and fragrant emerald.

Adding the beer and lye, though, turned everything brown and started to stink. I pressed on and everything went well enough, despite the smell. At trace, I added two tablespoons of a caramelized malt called Caramunich that I had pulverized to powder in a coffee grinder (I was thinking oatmeal parallels here) and approximately an ounce of dried, homegrown leaf hops (Glacier). I had carefully removed the hop leaves from the bracts they grown on (a very fiddly process) and chopped them about medium-fine.

At this point, I had a soap ready to go into the mold, but there was absolutely no hop scent at all, no beer scent, just an awful lye scent. Since this was my second batch and I was afraid of getting a finished soap with this terrible smell, I flinched a bit and added a 1/2 oz of BB's lemongrass-sage FO (40 oz batch) thinking that small amount might help cover that hateful lye smell and would harmonize with any hop character that remained after the cure.

I poured into the loaf and put the mold into the freezer to prevent overheating from all the sugars in the batter. Took it out next day and cut it the day after. Now that it's cured, the results are absolutely nothing at all like I'd hoped.

IMG_20151017_235416[1].jpg

As you can see the soap is quite yellow and the leaf hops are brown and scratchy. The smaller brown dots are the crystal malt. It works great as a hand soap, but I tried it in the shower one time and it's as rough as a loufah. Way too rough for me. The biggest disappointment, though, is the smell. No hops whatsoever. It smells like malt. For you brewers reading this, it smells like malt extract. For non-brewers, it smells a bit like sweet granola and caramel together. There's no hint of that little bit of lemongrass-sage FO that I added in my moment of weakness. It's actually a very pleasant smell, but it's NOT HOPS. :-( It performs very well, lathers great (as it should with all that sugar), and rinses clean - although it sometimes sheds those little hop pieces in the sink. It's very popular with the household and family even though it's not what I planned. Overall, a happy accident.

If I were going to try this again, based on this experience I would:
NOT add the crystal malt. It's sugars are over the top and its scent overpowering. Pulverized unmalted barley would be a better choice for the "oatmeal" route.
NOT add whole hops except as a possible topping. They are too scratchy and ugly when put in the batter.
INCREASE the percentage of infused oil - a lot. Like all the liquid oils infused at a ratio of 1 oz of pellets for 4 oz of oil (expecting to lose a 1/3 of the oils to the hops)

However, even with those changes, I'm skeptical of any hop aroma making it through saponification in CP. Hop aroma compounds are acids.

Perhaps the actual answer is making an HP soap and superfatting after the cook with an hop-infused oil? (I haven't tried that, but I may...) I'm also considering adding a large amount of the squeezed pellets - half of weight or so - like one would add salt or pumice. I'm not sure even that much would impart hop aroma, though, unless one went the HP route.

This is already super-long so I'll end, but if anybody has questions about hop varieties or such, I'm happy to answer.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back