BB recipe review

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

SoapAddict415

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm looking to make a few bombs for a friend. This will be my 2nd time making them in about 6 years so I need help with my recipe. I created this recipe based on online recipes and what I have available. Please tell me what you think. Is there anything I should change/add? If it'll help, I also have a small amount of cream of tartar.
My recipe is:
2 cups baking soda
1 cup citric acid
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup Epsom salts
1/2 cup SLSa
1 tablespoon rice bran oil
1 tablespoon shea butter
1 tablespoon polysorbate 80
12 ml of fragrance
Witch Hazel as needed
Allow to dry 24-48 hours
Thanks in advance for any advice! [emoji16]

shunt2011

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looks pretty good. I've never used cornstarch so that's the only thing I'm not sure about. And I don't always add Epsom Salt. Sometimes just sea salt or no salt at all. I add a little Cream of Tartar to mine as I think it helps with making them a bit harder. I would use less SLSA, I've found it doesn't take a whole bunch to get some suds and bubbles. Maybe 1/8 of a cup. I also use 91% alcohol instead of witch hazel but it should be fine. I measure in weight for more consistency but I know a lot of recipes go by cups etc.... I don't have my recipe at hand or I would check in comparison.

lsg

Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't use Epsom salts or cornstarch in my bath bombs. I use melted cocoa butter instead of shea butter and liquid oils. The bath bombs dry very hard.

Livx

Reaction score
Looks a great recipe. Agreed with the post above about slsa. All you need is a teaspoon or they won’t fizz in the tub if you use too much.

SoapAddict415

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! The Chemistry Store had a PDF about bath bombs and I got my SLSa amount from that but I wasn't sure if I needed that much. I'll reduce it. I found another article (I forgot the website) that told what each ingredient did in a BB recipe. I think the cornstarch is supposed to slow down how fast they dissolve so maybe I'll tweak that item too.

Livx

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! The Chemistry Store had a PDF about bath bombs and I got my SLSa amount from that but I wasn't sure if I needed that much. I'll reduce it. I found another article (I forgot the website) that told what each ingredient did in a BB recipe. I think the cornstarch is supposed to slow down how fast they dissolve so maybe I'll tweak that item too.

Cornstarch acts as a filler. I’ve a few bathbombs made with cornstarch that I kept for testing. And they have lasted the longest. Still hard and fizzes in the tub. Think I may add it back to my recipe! :)

smfone

Reaction score
Great post, gals! The SLSA was the new ingredient I’m just now adding to my recipe and I wanted to tweak my batch to see the effect. Now I’ve got a list of 5 recipes I’m aching to try out this holiday weekend - just have to get that bottle of witch hazel I keep forgetting.
Thanks so much for sharing. Will post my results (weight/volume) when I finish!

Latest posts