Basic among Basics

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But if you use it early, you will learn why soap needs to cure 4-6 weeks minimum.

Never feel too bad about making bad soap. We've all been there and done that. I think that is what drives us to come to a forum like this and ask questions and learn better.

My favorite soap calculator is Soapee.com. I never liked any of the others much, and I learned that one before SMF came out, so I stick with it. Also, all of my recipes are saved over there.

I've once found an old b/w film cartridge with the note “X shots left” on it written by my dad,
Stone me, who winds the film back into the cartridge to use the rest later? (Yes, apart from brewing my own developer, I have "darkroom experience"!

You can use it if you like (as long as it is not zappy)- but it will be a bit harsh until it cures a bit longer. It will still lather, but will lather better after more curing too.
IT LATHERS! I MADE SOAP!
And it doesn't sting my man-bits, so that's a double-whammy!
It makes my skin ... "squeaky clean". Is that a good thing?

IT LATHERS! I MADE SOAP!
And it doesn't sting my man-bits, so that's a double-whammy!
It makes my skin ... "squeaky clean". Is that a good thing?
Squeaky clean can be more acceptable to men folk more so than others. Some of us equate 'squeaky clean' to being a bit too stripping. An example of (the opposite effect of) this is that my son and hubby both complain that my soap 'doesn't rinse off properly' and 'leaves their skin feeling greasy' which is man speak for 'it leaves a bit of oil on my skin that makes them feel soft rather than stripped'. lol

Try again after a month and see if it's changed.

Stone me, who winds the film back into the cartridge to use the rest later? (Yes, apart from brewing my own developer, I have "darkroom experience"!
I guess it had to do with that it for whatever reason was a b/w film. I can only guess, but back then, he might have wanted to switch to a colour film, but did want to find a more sensible use for the rest of the b/w, than just waste them? I asked him, he couldn't remember, lol.

Back