Basic among Basics

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dairy butter soap makes an incredibly stinky soap with no way of remedy for it. It truly becomes a wasted resource better left to some toasted or fresh baked bread at the least. Would I judge someone for using it? Yes, I would if I had to allow that person in my home or if, after the numerous complaints/warnings on here were ignored, they complain about their dairy butter soap.
True @Arimara - I wouldn't make or use use dairy butter in soap if you paid me!
@kdm have you considered making @Zany's no slime castile? That would be an easy one. I'd still go for 10% CO in it though, but that's just me.

True @Arimara - I wouldn't make or use use dairy butter in soap if you paid me!
I binned it off as it had too much Hydroxide. I'm not feeling much love for it. Message received!
@kdm have you considered making @Zany's no slime castile? That would be an easy one. I'd still go for 10% CO in it though, but that's just me.
Yaeh. having been to both extremes I put CO in the third batch and it resembles soap. There are so many things to try. This was an experiment to see if I could use stuff I had around me. Now that I've augmented that with "other stuff" I'm probably equipped to try existing recipes!

with no way of remedy for it
That's a very bold statement – shouldn't you rather state that you personally just don't know about a remedy? I am with you all that dairy butter just makes no sense in soap from just about any perspective you look at it. But I am not d'accord that there is absolutely no way to make a soap from dairy butter that is unoffensive. Reason: I have tried it myself, successfully. There is physically existing evidence that it works.
I wish people would be easier to accept that the equation of dairy butter with stinky soap, while correct in particular cases, overall is over-simplistic, biased, and incomplete/uninformed/ignorant. I don't understand what people are hoping to achieve by defending prejudices in the face of contradicting evidence.

Sorry to OP for off-topic.

I wish people would be easier to accept that the equation of dairy butter with stinky soap, while correct in particular cases, overall is over-simplistic, biased, and incomplete/uninformed/ignorant. I don't understand what people are hoping to achieve by defending prejudices in the face of contradicting evidence.

Hell, no. If you're going to get the big wooden spoon out, my threads are the best place for it! :)

That's a very bold statement – shouldn't you rather state that you personally just don't know about a remedy? I am with you all that dairy butter just makes no sense in soap from just about any perspective you look at it. But I am not d'accord that there is absolutely no way to make a soap from dairy butter that is unoffensive. Reason: I have tried it myself, successfully. There is physically existing evidence that it works.

I'm sorry but I really don't care how I'm coming off right now. Butter soap stinks, especially to people like me who have the nose to pick that scent up and unless you're going to take up the task of testing every single brand of butter in existance, your soap may just be a minority to you.

your soap may just be a minority to you.
That might be well the case. But there is also only a minority of people who have climbed Mt. Everest – still I don't yell around that Mt. Everest is absolutely unclimbable just because I tried and failed, and only a minority succeded.

Gotta be honest, this smells like soap. Already. You know what they say? "If it tastes like soap and smells like soap, it probably is soap."
...but it stings the tongue, so I won't be tasting large chunks of it any time soon.
You may not think it smells like soap when you use it. Sorry, milk fat butter tends to smell really bad in soap especially after you rinse it off your hands.

I tried many ways and batches of making soap with several brands of dairy butter and believe me when I say everyone left a horrible lingering odor when rinsed off my hands. This was also true for the other gals which were also experimenting with various kinds of dairy butters. While the soap did not initially smell bad it smelled after using it. So while you may have had success there were several of us in another forum several years that tried for months and all agreed that it is simply not worth the waste of ingredients. You might think we did not make it correctly but we were all experienced soapmakers, not newbies.

I don't think we're coming further here. You insist on your observations, I will insist on mine. Once again: I do not deny the validity of your bad experiences with dairy butter. But I do question the dogmatism that you deduce from it.

I don't understand the reason why you are repeating yourself. You should be
experienced soapmakers, not newbies
enough to know that my soap will not magically start stinking, just because someone on the other side of the planet insists that it better should.

@kdm That's exactly why I apologised for “off-topic”. We have had this topic often enough that I know we won't come to a satisfactory settlement any time soon. The only ray of hope came from @KiwiMoose.

Butter belongs on toast :p
Or baked potatoes 😍

Also, I think it depends on who is doing the smelling. Some folks just aren’t as bothered by certain smells or tastes - the same ones that others find intolerable. Cilantro, anyone? 😜

That’s being said, I do believe the majority of folks do find the smell of butter in soap to be repulsive. I don’t deny the experience of those who don’t, but since I and many others do, I don’t recommend it, either.

Last edited:
especially to people like me who have the nose to pick that scent up and unless you're going to take up the task of testing every single brand of butter in existance, your soap may just be a minority to you.
You know, that's a good point. I know I smell things differently to other people. The butter recipe just never turned into soap, but i didn't detect anything rancid about it. However, there's something about, for example grapefruit, which just smells like Body odour to me.

Actually, now I think about it. Butter is pretty ikky once left to air for a few days. Is that the "off" smell you folks are describing?

To me, it smells like vomit as soon as the soap gets wet. I don't smell anything bad while the soap is dry, unless I stick my nose right up to it and really inhale to get a faint whiff of it. But somehow, the smell remains on my hands after washing. Yuck, I'm gagging now as I describe it. 🤢

Everyone describes is a bit differently, so YMMV.

Just to add some perspective, I have noticed that pungent smell during my acidified boiling as well, very vividly (could smell it in the whole kitchen for two days). I second everyone of you that it is really disgusting. If I'd try to describe it, I'd mention rancid butter but it's much worse, more like dairy products really gone bad, Limburger cheese, goat cheese, sweat (like in shoes or sports clothing overdue to washing), and also vomit, yes.

I'm also mentioning this because I'm tired of the ridiculous accusation that I were insensitive/ignorant to the bad smell that dairy soap can develop. I can't quantify my smelling capability in hard numbers, but I have no reason to assume it is so sub-average that I would miss a smell that my soap would leave on my skin.

I do see one single possibility to resolve this situation. I wish I could contribute to it more than just recommend everyone to relax, and realise that it is inappropriate rhetorical trickery to deny inconvenient evidence by questioning the validity of who stands in for it.

Why is it so difficult to just say “Hey, great that you found a crazy stupid way to make dairy butter soap no longer that stinky. You have extended the horizon of the possible, and since you admit yourself that it's highly impractical, and even advise against it by yourself, our conclusions don't even contradict.”? I want nothing more.

How long should I wait before I wet it and wipe it on skin? (Ooo-errr, sounds really rude. Not the intent.)

You should wait at the very least three weeks. However, it is safe to do so after a few days (how long exactly depends on oil blend, additives, temperatures etc.). The zap test will tell you when this faster part of saponification is done. It won't tell you how the soap will perform once it's fully cured, too early tests can be disappointing and misleading.

Oh, man. This reminds me of being a teenager. I NEED MY INSTANT FIX! :) It's like taking a photograph and having to wait until you've used teh whole film, then waiting another week for it o get developed. Can you imagine that?

No, I can not imagine that 😀. I develop my films on my own. Lead time from camera to negatives is about mere two hours (including brewing the developer, but tbf drying time comes on top of this. Nobody likes water stains on negative strips).

But the “use up the whole film” pain is real. I've once found an old b/w film cartridge with the note “X shots left” on it written by my dad, and I squeezed it into a development session – just to find out that it was 15 years old vacation photos 😲.

Oh, man. This reminds me of being a teenager. I NEED MY INSTANT FIX! :) It's like taking a photograph and having to wait until you've used teh whole film, then waiting another week for it o get developed. Can you imagine that?
Whoever heard of such a thing! lol.

You can use it if you like (as long as it is not zappy)- but it will be a bit harsh until it cures a bit longer. It will still lather, but will lather better after more curing too.

Back