backdrop for diy light box

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosey

Reaction score
for those of you that made the DIY box for photos, what did you use for the backdrop? I'm confused as to what to use exactly for that. I have the rest squared away

I use a long strip of poster board. Actually, I have several strips. I have a black one, a white one, a blue one, a green one, and one that I stuck decorative shelf lining to. If you click on this link below and scroll down a little, it shows a picture of how it should be placed in your box:

http://www.strobist.blogspot.com/2006/0 ... tudio.html

IrishLass :)

yeah,thats what I did too.
Hey,I decided tissue paper might be a bit flimsy on the sides(just my luck I'd poke a finger thru it!)so I used interfacing fabric instead.Works great.Cept if the light gets a little close.Praps I shouldn't have used the fusible kind eh? :)

funny you mention this :)

my wife and i went to Joann's last night (different reasons). i picked up some fabrick I think will diffuse the light nicely, along with a white poster board and a black. also got piece of scrapbooking paper with leaves on it, to fool around with :)

I've used posterboard for the back drop as well as for the actually sides. A good light diffusing fabric is good. For black, try velvet. It doesn't reflect the light.

Thanks! I used tracing paper like that guy for the sides and top. I'm going to try poster board. I have one but it may be too banged up. lol

also, rosey, you don't have to have posterboard, so long as your back and sides are lined, but when attached to the top and flowing out, it creates that infinite-field look (i address this to you, but suspect you already know, maybe someone looking to do this will read it)

Well I didn't cut out the back because I was going to use a backdrop. I have the poster board, it's in better shape than I thought. I'll have to try to attach it. I don't have lamps yet but I'm going to get cheapo lights one day. I'm excited :D

you can pick up a couple daylight bulbs (the spiral halogens)

i was actually about to purchase a small lightbox setup off ebay, then decided to DIY. the only thing i was worried about, was the lighting, but after some research, found i could get much better lighting this way :)

show us some pix once you get it running :)

Rosey said:
Well I didn't cut out the back because I was going to use a backdrop. I have the poster board, it's in better shape than I thought. I'll have to try to attach it. I don't have lamps yet but I'm going to get cheapo lights one day. I'm excited :D

Rosey,Ive been using the stumpy flouro bulbs(yanno,the 'green' ones),highest wattage I can find(so far 18 ),in cool white.The warm white is too yellow.They work well for a bung-up home studio.Get on youtube & search photographic lighting cheap or such.Loads of ideas! :D

Back