April SMF Soap Challenge, Hanger Swirl Petra Style

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am a big fan of black base soaps. Your color choice is excellent and the clarity between the colors is so beautiful, Rowan. Maybe not the technique, but what a pretty soap.

Fear not, Teresa! It doesn't take as much as you'd think to SB to emulsion and that little bit of oil on the top...bah, just ignore it. I bet you turn out a beauty!

Thanks everyone for your lovely comments. Fingers crossed the soap gremlins don't strike when I try to get the technique right next time!

My third attempt is in the oven! I think this is going to be my last attempt. Too much work for this girl :) I increased my batch size to 48oz and had plenty of batter. My fo accelerated but it was still able to flow so I went with it. Will know in the morning if I have anything to enter.

Now that I'm settling in a bit (even was able to wash my own hair in the guest bathroom sink, while standing on one good leg!), I'm reading all the messages in the thread and looking at what some of you are calling failures. Failures there not! I'm seeing some gorgeous soaps with fabulous color combinations and beautiful patterns.

And if you think anything is a failure, there's no such things if you've learned from what your just did! :) Instead, it was and is a learning experience. :)

You'll find yourself learning all kind of new things until you get back on both feet. I spent a little bit of time with a broken right arm and left heel ( 9 months). You'll get back to being able again, just be patient with yourself.

Prayers for you will continue.

Steve

I just put attempt #4 (or is it 5???) in the oven. I know it's a flop. Same fo I used in an earlier attempt and this time it A'd like crazy. So IF I do an entry, it will have to be the earlier one I didn't post pics of. This week is going to be too crazy to do any soaping at all.

I just put attempt #4 (or is it 5???) in the oven. I know it's a flop. Same fo I used in an earlier attempt and this time it A'd like crazy. So IF I do an entry, it will have to be the earlier one I didn't post pics of. This week is going to be too crazy to do any soaping at all.

Hope it goes well for you. I'm not doing well with this at all.
I really want to try CPOP and was wondering if you use
The white silicone 1 pound mold? That is what I have and I wasn't sure it would make it through the heat.

Hope it goes well for you. I'm not doing well with this at all.
I really want to try CPOP and was wondering if you use
The white silicone 1 pound mold? That is what I have and I wasn't sure it would make it through the heat.

I have the white 2 lb mold and it does just fine. You're not exposing it to a whole lot of heat for a really long time. Not like if you were baking a cake in them. I've even cpop'd with a cardboard box lined with freezer paper and it was fine.
And don't feel bad, it's not going so hot for me either :(

Just be aware that you can get little bubbles along the sides and bottom of the soap when you CPOP in silicone. YOu can trim them off and it's just cosmetic. If you want to try to avoid that, you can fill pan with water, such that when the mold is in it, the water come up to below the brim. Put the pan with water in the oven at 190 degrees for 45 min to an hour so the water warms. When you are ready with your soap, put it in the warm water and let it gel in there. The water holds the temp more constant and the silicone doesn't get as hot to you don't get the bubbles. You have to watch it and take the soap out after it gels, but I haven't had the issue of the bubbles since doing it that way.

I find CPOP tricky, with how long you have to have the heat on, especially if you've soaped cool. I kept having problems so now I use either a heating pad or the water bath.

Did my second attempt last night! ImageUploadedBySoap Making1460988970.102608.jpg can't wait to cut!

Just be aware that you can get little bubbles along the sides and bottom of the soap when you CPOP in silicone. YOu can trim them off and it's just cosmetic. If you want to try to avoid that, you can fill pan with water, such that when the mold is in it, the water come up to below the brim. Put the pan with water in the oven at 190 degrees for 45 min to an hour so the water warms. When you are ready with your soap, put it in the warm water and let it gel in there. The water holds the temp more constant and the silicone doesn't get as hot to you don't get the bubbles. You have to watch it and take the soap out after it gels, but I haven't had the issue of the bubbles since doing it that way.

I find CPOP tricky, with how long you have to have the heat on, especially if you've soaped cool. I kept having problems so now I use either a heating pad or the water bath.

I've also found it depends on the mold. If you get the little bubbles I mean. I haven't gotten them at all with my crafters choice mold, but I do with the pink individual bar molds. I can split a batch between the 2 and cpop them at the same time and will get bubbles on the pink but not the white.

Saponista, I love your challenge soap. The purple is absolutely stunning!

Thanks Rowan, I was trying out some new mica's. I do like the green and purple together, I think I might use it again. The purple is called sugar plum.

It's a great combination. I have sugar plum, but in my soap it went a grey/purple. I'll have to take a closer look at my base oils when I use it next!

Latest posts

Back