April SMF Soap Challenge, Hanger Swirl Petra Style

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well that was a flop. Zap tested and no zap. Pulled the sides of the mold loose and it was hard. Turned it over to unfold and liquid poured out. Tested that and oh yeah. It was lye. So I unmolded in the sink and the bottom was only half formed and the entire inside was fluid. Only the outer layer on the sides and top were firm. Chucked it. No idea how much liquid ran out or even what all it consisted of. Some was water, some was oil. First batch that I didn't think I could salvage. Such is life. Now, who's turn is it for the soap gremlins cause they need to move on!

Posted my entry! It will be my final try for this as my daughter has swim competition all week, I have two Dr appointments and two funerals, a paint and pour, a new baby to go see, and a baby shower to go to - in addition to working all three jobs, and cleaning my house for confirmation open house Sunday next. No wonder its only Monday and I'm already exhausted!

Well I guess I shouldn't have tried to gel my entry. I wanted colors to pop. But now I have an oily mess. First time trying to get full gel and I got called away for almost an hour and couldn't keep my eye on it.
As soon as I figure out what to do with this batch I think I will try again.

20160419_173537.jpg

Last edited:
Great entry amd. I really like your colours and swirls. You sound like you have an amazingly busy week, I hope you make it through in one piece!

Lisa Anne, the oil could reabsorb.Give it time. My fingers are crossed for you! It may still be beautiful inside.

I managed my third attempt. I stick blended a tad too much and my batter thickened up on me, so I couldn't get the colours to reach the other side of the mould. At least the technique was better this time, so I can post it in the entry thread if I run out of time to try again. Really loving the challenge and having so much fun! Thanks LP:)

Great entry amd. I really like your colours and swirls. You sound like you have an amazingly busy week, I hope you make it through in one piece!

Lisa Anne, the oil could reabsorb.Give it time. My fingers are crossed for you! It may still be beautiful inside.

I managed my third attempt. I stick blended a tad too much and my batter thickened up on me, so I couldn't get the colours to reach the other side of the mould. At least the technique was better this time, so I can post it in the entry thread if I run out of time to try again. Really loving the challenge and having so much fun! Thanks LP:)

There was so much oil, threw it in my crock pot. I have not rebatched in a long time, going to have to read up on it a little bit. I'm throwing all kinds of soap on top of it. There's a homeless shelter 30 minutes from here. looks like they're getting some more soap in a month. Yes it has been a great challenge, challenging my patience for sure! (kidding). I've enjoyed it, even if I haven't made a successful one. Hoping you have better luck :)

Thanks for the continued prayers Steve! I'm feeling much better today since they adjusted the brace to remove the flexibility. I'm still on pain killers, but I can now spread it out to over 5 hours instead of 4; and I have no pain while I'm resting with the leg on a pillow and it's immobile. So ever little bit of progress is a big win now!

You'll find yourself learning all kind of new things until you get back on both feet. I spent a little bit of time with a broken right arm and left heel ( 9 months). You'll get back to being able again, just be patient with yourself.

Prayers for you will continue.

Steve

Well that was a flop. Zap tested and no zap. Pulled the sides of the mold loose and it was hard. Turned it over to unfold and liquid poured out. Tested that and oh yeah. It was lye. So I unmolded in the sink and the bottom was only half formed and the entire inside was fluid. Only the outer layer on the sides and top were firm. Chucked it. No idea how much liquid ran out or even what all it consisted of. Some was water, some was oil. First batch that I didn't think I could salvage. Such is life. Now, who's turn is it for the soap gremlins cause they need to move on!

I've had my turn! My pumpkin soap (such a beautiful colour, of course!!) for this challenge was my first throw-in-the-bin soap as well : (

Last edited:
Hope it goes well for you. I'm not doing well with this at all.

I really want to try CPOP and was wondering if you use

The white silicone 1 pound mold? That is what I have and I wasn't sure it would make it through the heat.

Lisa Anne
Try CPOP in an oven at only 100* F if your oven doesn't go that low preheat it and turn it off and let it cool till it gets there. It's the temp of a very hot day. Wrap your soap and leave it overnight. Don't open the oven. This won't hurt your silicone and works every time for me.

I posted my entry this morning (cut it last night and it was too soft).. Sorry for the crappy photos. I only have an iPhone 5c and that doesn't seem to be doing very well at focusing lately.

ETA: I might give it another shot tonight and use vinegar instead of water for the liquid. That should harden it up enough to unmold quickly.

Last edited:
I posted my entry this morning (cut it last night and it was too soft).. Sorry for the crappy photos. I only have an iPhone 5c and that doesn't seem to be doing very well at focusing lately.

ETA: I might give it another shot tonight and use vinegar instead of water for the liquid. That should harden it up enough to unmold quickly.

Pretty soap Teresa.

Since I posted my entry, I thought I'd post pictures of the 'also ran'. The first is fragranced with Nurture Soap's Karma. The colored batter didn't reach the opposite wall on this one. The second one is an orange/patchouli EO blend. Again, the batter didn't reach the opposite wall. The last is fragranced with Mad Oils' Spanish Fly. The hanger was in the right spot on this one, but I didn't feel there was enough movement at the top.

Petra Swirl Challenge Entry 005.jpg

Petra Swirl Challenge Entry 006.jpg

Petra Swirl Challenge Entry 007.jpg

Oh dibbles, I love your entry it's beautiful. I think you nailed it, lots of thin layers. I think you just did more layers than some of the other entries which isn't a bad thing, just different. Looks like bird wings to me. Beautiful :)

Good on you Teresa for your entry. I didn't manage to get one up, yet again. The soap gremlins, my maths and lack of scientific method (I think) conspired against me.

Dibbles wasn't it worth it to make 6 attempts! I admire your tenacity and all of your soaps! Really lovely.

Oh dibbles, I love your entry it's beautiful. I think you nailed it, lots of thin layers. I think you just did more layers than some of the other entries which isn't a bad thing, just different. Looks like bird wings to me. Beautiful :)

Thank you Saponista - I feel like the horizontal pull is too high. Maybe not? I just didn't have another attempt in me. I do love this technique though, and will use it often since even the "fails" turn out so pretty.

Last edited:
I'm loving the entries so far! Third and final attempt is cooling its heels in the mold right now. Remembered the FO, colors look as planned, so that's something! Just have to wait and see if the technique is ok! And it will be a long wait, too. I'm not gelling it because of my recent glycerin river problems. Le sigh. *checks clock*

Latest posts

Back