Anyone has a recipe for liquid hand-washing soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you ever made liquid soap? Not Syndet, but soap?

Deda said:
Have you ever made liquid soap? Not Syndet, but soap?
yes, using that recipe I listed. I make a very small scale (1 liter) and it's successful. But I find the cost higher than expected, so I'm looking for a more cost-friendly recipe.

carebear said:
you will probably want to make your own from oils and potassium hydroxide - as cheap as you are likely to get...

Snowdrift farms is a good place to start: http://www.snowdriftfarm.com/form_liqui ... cipes.html and here: http://www.snowdriftfarm.com/form_liquidsoap.html

Thanks, one thing, where do I buy all these ingredients? Especially the oils, does a chemical store sell them? Is this hand-washing soap or a bath soap? Does these natural soap has a good hand cleaning ability?

I want to sell these to restaurants so it needs to have good cleaning ability, not just a nice smell.

I'm thinking you need to work on these recipes until you find one you like and trust before you try to sell to restaurants. It sounds like you may just be starting out and are not sure of your recipes yet. If you're not sure of the cleaning ability then you really aren't ready to start selling.

Good luck and I hope we can support you as you go through your learning process.

Cheers
Lindy

I don't know if you've ever sold anything to restaurants, and I could be wrong... but, having worked in a million restaurants, I highly doubt they'd buy soap from an individual. They usually have one company that they buy all of their cleaning products from and they come in huge containers, etc. I doubt that you could match what they pay for their products and still make a profit. Sorry to be a downer. :(

kittywings said:
I don't know if you've ever sold anything to restaurants, and I could be wrong... but, having worked in a million restaurants, I highly doubt they'd buy soap from an individual. They usually have one company that they buy all of their cleaning products from and they come in huge containers, etc. I doubt that you could match what they pay for their products and still make a profit. Sorry to be a downer. :(

That might be in United States, but I'm in another country.

well wherever you are hiding, there is still a significant R&D stage - best of luck in your endeavors!

Thanks! Does glycerin make soap get thicker every day? What chemical do I use to make my liquid soap stay consistent in thickness (doesn't get thicker or thinner for a long period of time)?

I'm sorry, but I just had to add my 2 cents, though I know it's not worth much.
OP, Do you realize if you had (and maybe you have, IDK) asked this question on "other" soap making boards they would have ridiculed(sp?) you and humiliated you, and there would have been 5 pages already telling you to "get your act together" and stop trying to SELL something homemade you have (apparently) NO IDEA how to make! And they would rightfully so, not have been near as nice, not even close.

I believe this board is here to HELP, not hand out a recipe for you to whip together and make a profit off of. That is YOUR job, to create a recipe that works for you. As previously posted; you are obviously not prepared to sell it....you don't even know how to make it...you're putting the cart before the horse.

I'm sorry but it's very frustrating..... :x

jadiebugs1 said:
I'm sorry, but I just had to add my 2 cents, though I know it's not worth much.
OP, Do you realize if you had (and maybe you have, IDK) asked this question on "other" soap making boards they would have ridiculed(sp?) you and humiliated you, and there would have been 5 pages already telling you to "get your act together" and stop trying to SELL something homemade you have (apparently) NO IDEA how to make! And they would rightfully so, not have been near as nice, not even close.

I believe this board is here to HELP, not hand out a recipe for you to whip together and make a profit off of. That is YOUR job, to create a recipe that works for you. As previously posted; you are obviously not prepared to sell it....you don't even know how to make it...you're putting the cart before the horse.

I'm sorry but it's very frustrating..... :x

I thought one of the purpose of this board is to share recipes. :shock:

I'm not trying to sell it to anyone here, but to restaurants. I have successfully made a ready to use soap with the recipe I shared above. But I find it not very cost efficient, though it would still make a small profit.

All I'm trying to do is find out if others have a soap recipe for hand liquid soap. I'll calculate the cost and try them out and maybe I'll find one that is both good and cost efficient. I mean, making simple home made soap isn't rocket science, anyone should be able to do it if they have the recipe.

The idea here is to share our experience with people who are interested in the craft itself. You're right it's not rocket science so we all are able to create our own recipes through research and development, then we share our experiences. No-one here demands a recipe so they can go sell it when they don't even know the properties of soap let alone what makes a good soap. Yes there are many of us that do sell our soaps, we developed our recipes and as we made mistakes or had challenges we came here to our friends and asked for advice on our specific recipe......

You are not, by my definition, a true soaper. You are not looking to do this for the love of what you are doing but rather to plain and simply make a quick profit. Profit is not a bad word and I quite enjoy the fact that my soaps will end up making me money. I sell my soap but so far I am putting way more into my soaps than I am getting out of it financially because I am passionate about what I do - make soap.

Perhaps there are other forums that will give you a recipe to sell, I doubt you'll find it here.

Peace

Lindy said:
The idea here is to share our experience with people who are interested in the craft itself. You're right it's not rocket science so we all are able to create our own recipes through research and development, then we share our experiences. No-one here demands a recipe so they can go sell it when they don't even know the properties of soap let alone what makes a good soap. Yes there are many of us that do sell our soaps, we developed our recipes and as we made mistakes or had challenges we came here to our friends and asked for advice on our specific recipe......

You are not, by my definition, a true soaper. You are not looking to do this for the love of what you are doing but rather to plain and simply make a quick profit. Profit is not a bad word and I quite enjoy the fact that my soaps will end up making me money. I sell my soap but so far I am putting way more into my soaps than I am getting out of it financially because I am passionate about what I do - make soap.

Perhaps there are other forums that will give you a recipe to sell, I doubt you'll find it here.

Peace
If I get a good recipe for a fried rice, won't I know what properties are in the fried rice and what makes a good fried rice? Then I can improve upon the recipe. same with soap.

I don't want any part in what you call 'a true soaper'. I like soap, I use it everyday, I like making it, I need profit like everyone else. I don't 'love' it, but I like it, enjoy it. It's challenging. So far I have made a few successful batches using my recipe. Like I said, it's not very cost efficient though it makes profit still. All I want is to find a good recipe to improve upon, a starting point if you must, then I perfect it, cost-wise and quality-wise. Of course, there are no perfect recipe but isn't that what all of you looking to achieve? A great quality soap with low making cost.

Right now, I am trying another recipe with glycerin, and I heard they will thicken the mixture over days, sometimes until it becomes too solid. So I asked "does glycerin thicken the liquid over days? what can I do to prevent that and make the thickness consistent, is there a chemical for that?" Maybe some of you have experience with this and can help?

iamgine said:
jadiebugs1 said:
I thought one of the purpose of this board is to share recipes. :shock:
mmm kinda. actually I think it's more that we are here to support each other's efforts and research rather than to supplant them. Whether for love of the craft or for profit I care not - you can still be a soaper in my book - but this place is all about the give and take of the relationship. Sharing and learning together, that sort of thing. Detergent products, in my opinion, do count.

I don't know much about formulating a detergent product - that's not my thing so I have probably put little more time and energy researching it than you have (although I am now getting involved from a shampoo perspective) so I don't have much to offer on that front. You might try talking to your suppliers to see if there are comparable ingredients you can swap out the expensive ones for, or to see how much purchasing in bulk can save you. And of course there are lots of suppliers for detergent chemicals that may be able to help you.

I would love to guide your research by sharing my own experiences - I just don't have any.

But I will say it's unlikely people on a forum will just give a recipe away. I mean, there are basic recipes out there that, if we are aware of then, we might point you to as a starting point, but after that the way these forums work is that you tell us what you have and we suggest shifts to move you in the right direction.

So alas, no - we don't have a recipe (at least I don't) and I probably wouldn't just give it if I did (tho once you build relationships, share what YOU have and know and think, and contribute then the giving comes more easily). Food for thought.

I do wish you the best and hope you find the guidance (or recipe if that's all you are looking for) you need. I just don't think it'll be here.

Back