Any wisdom on pure animal fat soaps?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chickenpoopshoes

Reaction score
In the quest for sustainability I decided a while back that I would soap only with local fats, so tallow(or suet, still undecided whether to use my awesome suet for soap...) eggs, perhaps some local rapeseed oil although I'm not crazy about it as a monocrop. Maybe local beer or honey as additives etc...
So here's the thing- add rosemary oleoresin or not? I've heard that adding at 1% protects against rancidity.
What about fragrance oils/EO? Any to avoid? I'd like to make a minty soap for Christmas and I imagine peppermint stomps all over any left-over fatty scent but I've also heard it can be a bit too potent- how much is too much?
Do any fragrances clash terribly with animal fats/eggs/etc?
Thanks for your help, wise soapers!

I dont and have never used any animal fats in my soaps but I can tell you that mint EO is potent and to me and I stress to me always has a medicinal / terpentine / overpowering edge unlike the actual herb. Many minty FOs on the other hand are lovely and more real in a funny way but of course without any beneficial properties.

ROE is good stuff, but if you use ROE, 1% is way, WAY TOO MUCH. Too much antioxidant can actually accelerate rancidity so overdosing with ROE is far worse than not using any at all. Not sure where you got the 1% info, but it's wrong. Here's what I have to say about the use of ROE -- https://classicbells.com/soap/ROE.asp Don't just take my word on this matter -- read other reputable sources and get informed with the real facts.

Thanks, guys! I can't remember where I read about 1% ROE now... I'm going to read your link, though.
Also very interesting about mint EO vs FO. I'm not against FO and I'd rather get the smell I'm after- I'm not convinced you get much benefit from EO in a wash off, high alkaline product. I prefer them for leave-on stuff.

Thanks, guys! I can't remember where I read about 1% ROE now... I'm going to read your link, though.
Also very interesting about mint EO vs FO. I'm not against FO and I'd rather get the smell I'm after- I'm not convinced you get much benefit from EO in a wash off, high alkaline product. I prefer them for leave-on stuff.

I agree, Its worth getting a few good sample 5ml size bottles to sniff. Basil Sage Mint comes to mind and many others, SK do a few nice ones including one called Green Mint, Its not scenty but as the description also one called herbal mint, again does what it says on the tin! I love those in my shampoo for example, and make a very nice summer holiday soap.

Latest posts

Back