Another throw question...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kittywings

Reaction score
I bought some 50/50 soy/paraffin wax from general wax and I just got around to making some candles with it about a week ago. I lit one of the candles the day after I made them and the throw was PATHETIC! I know it's not the fo because I made some 100% paraffin candles with it and the throw was amazing. About halfway through making this batch of candles, I read about putting some coconut oil in the wax to help the throw, so I did. The only issue is that I accidentally mixed all of the candles together and now I don't know which ones have the coconut oil and which don't.

Someone said they use crisco/shortening in their wax to help the throw... something like a soy/paraffin/shortening 2:2:1 ratio... has anyone else tried this?

Were they all the same,meaning same color,wick,scent?

I think the simplest thing to do,before you remelt all of them.Is to nik the bottoms,and feel the textures..I'd be willing to bet knowing the feel of paraffin,it's going to be different compared to your soy blend.

By niking the bottoms,you can then level them again.Nobody will know.

Can you smell just a hint of coconut oil?
If so separate the ones that you do,or suspect.Box them up (marked),and go through all of them,separating as you go..

Munky.

They're all container candles, and the only difference in them is whether or not I added the coconut oil... so it's pretty much impossible to tell. The only thing I DO know is that the one I lit didn't have coconut oil in it.

Does anyone know if adding the coconut oil does really help with throw?

kittywings said:
They're all container candles, and the only difference in them is whether or not I added the coconut oil... so it's pretty much impossible to tell. The only thing I DO know is that the one I lit didn't have coconut oil in it.

Does anyone know if adding the coconut oil does really help with throw?

What is the size of your wick? The kind of wax and FO have very little to do with the throw. Throw is dictated almost exclusively by the size and condition of your wick.

I find that with soy, even in a blend, that giving your candles a cure period of at least 2 days helps a LOT.

talk to us about your container and your wick...

You know, I tried to see what size it was and the package doesn't really say... it's basically the only kind that you get a Michael's in a big spool.

I'll look again and post a pic too!

ooooooooooooh Michaels.

Tell us your container size and maybe I can send you some options.
50/50 blend you say?

OK, the wicks are Yaley brand 3/N(degree symbol) 110162, large zinc core wire for candles 3-4" in diameter. I'd say that my containers are 3" in diameter. And yes, the blend is 50/50 .

Here's a pic (sorry for the blurriness, my hubby took my camera with him out of town):

IMG_0037.jpg

3" tumbler? Hmmm. I have some low smoke zinc wicks form WSP if you'd like to give them a try. I think the 19 probably - maybe 21.

PM me your address and I can stick some in an envelope.

Latest posts

Back