parrafin wax melt trouble

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThistleMelts

Reaction score
so, to you wax melt makers out there... Still pretty new to wax melt making, i have just finished trying most waxes to determine which one i liked best but here is the problem, i like paraffin better for the hot throw it gives however the surface of the melts become bumpy it seems no matter what i do. i have tried pouring at all different temperatures (recommended by the supplier is 60 - 65 ° C). Tried just using wax to rule out any fragrance oil issues.

With soy wax the melts are perfect every time but i just prefer the scent throw of paraffin wax, can anyone tell me if i'am doing something wrong when working with paraffin or something i should be doing differently to get smooth surface just like it is with soy wax
Thank you

Sadly, I've only worked with soy wax or soy/paraffin and soy/beeswax blends. Sometimes when the tops aren't as smooth as I would like I do a second pour on top.
For candles in containers, another approach I've used is as follows. With the wick holder in place put it in the oven at a low temperature, 170 F. Check it every 10 minutes until the top has re-melted. Then turn off the oven and leave it until the candle solidifies. I just leave it overnight.

I don't know if any of these methods will work for paraffin, but it may be worth a try.

so, to you wax melt makers out there... Still pretty new to wax melt making, i have just finished trying most waxes to determine which one i liked best but here is the problem, i like paraffin better for the hot throw it gives however the surface of the melts become bumpy it seems no matter what i do. i have tried pouring at all different temperatures (recommended by the supplier is 60 - 65 ° C). Tried just using wax to rule out any fragrance oil issues.

With soy wax the melts are perfect every time but i just prefer the scent throw of paraffin wax, can anyone tell me if i'am doing something wrong when working with paraffin or something i should be doing differently to get smooth surface just like it is with soy wax
Thank you
Sounds like you are using a straight paraffin and not a paraffin blend.
What I use for my wax melts that are 100% paraffin I do 75/25 IGI 4625 / IGI 4794.
You get the nice hot throw, decent cold throw and the smoothness of the blend.

I’ve been making candles for three years. I’m not an expert, but I have a lot of experience now.

Every time I made 100% soy candles, I would have a lot of trouble with sink holes that needed a lot of help fixing with my heat gun. I tried experimenting with different pour temperatures, with no luck.

I tried Flaming Candle’s ProBlend 600 (paraffin/soy blend), and now I never have that problem. I haven’t tried a 100% paraffin candle yet.

Back