another surface problem, ugh

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jessrof

Reaction score
Just did this batch in a wooden loaf mold. Attempted texture on top (with poppy seeds) and bow the top looks chalky and feels weird... what am I doing wrong?!
IMG_20130715_075740_074_zpsa88b799f.jpg

will wait to hear answers to this because same thing happened to me-I was planning on rebatching but hoping to find out it is perfectly 'normal' and won't have to.

It's just ash. You can prevent this by covering your mold (with a lid, or plastic wrap) while your batch is setting up, or spraying the surface with isopropyl alcohol.
Some soaps form it while curing. You can polish it off with water, or just use as is.

Does ash seem a bit sticky and have texture? Because this almost has the consistency of a milkshake... I have seen ash but am unsure this is it... but I am a newbie :)

Could be ash or could be overheating, but probably ash. In either case it's harmless and only an aesthetic issue.

The only time I got really thick, sticky ash was from a recipe that was high in shea that didn't gel.

You can steam it off or buff it off with a wet cloth if it bothers you.

This recipe was high in Shea.... it is just sticky, but the rest of the bar gelled. I will try steam and/or wash cloth

Latest posts

Back