Another confetti soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dawni

Reaction score
But I'm not too keen on this one. I don't know what possessed me to throw confetti of those colors into a soap with this color. Oh well..

But I'm posting it anyway because of the procedure I tried, that's been done before I'm sure in CP, but not too sure in HP... And we really need more info for HPers out there.

For liquid I used 75% apple cider vinegar (coz I had it and didn't have any other) and 25% saturated brine. More about the brine here, if you're interested.

Using vinegar instead of water will increase your SF and I read an older thread that you'd get about 5% give or take extra if your lye ratio is 2:1 with vinegar as 75% of your liquid. A much better explanation is here because I know I'm not doing a very good job at it lol.

So I set my SF to 1% (just in case hehehe) and proceeded. Like my previous confetti soap, I used superfood powders that were about to expire haha and this pack contained chia seeds, spirulina, wheatgrass, chlorella, kelp and nettle. All of these guaranteed a green soap btw, I just didn't know what shade. I used 1Tblsp dissolved in the oils instead of an infusion though.

I have to point out that I soaped with only the vinegar, and my brine, in which I dissolved my coconut milk n rice powders, was warmed and added in after the cook for fluidity

The batter reminded me of witches brews in cartoons n movies lol and it very much looked like it inside my black cauldron aka slow cooker. If it volcanoed it'll be just like those portrayals, bubbling over the sides n stuff haha The pink spatula probably spoils that image though.....

It probably smells like something out of a witches as...pot too harharhar. The powder just smelled like plants, the heated oils with it smelled very strongly of the kelp, and the final soaps smell so weird I can't describe it. My coconut milk powder probably messed it up more haha. I left it unscented because I didn't wanna waste precious EOs trying to mask it. I'm hoping it fades to nothing, and soon haha

I'll post updates regarding my choice of liquid and what it ends up doing to my soap, if anyone's interested. So far, test crumbs off the pot are nice n bubbly and thank heavens my hands don't stink after rinsing lol

Oh wait, I almost forgot the pic lol
_20190329_004931.JPG

My teenager hasn't seen it but I'm not looking forward to that because he's my biggest critic and he'll probably come up with something nasty lol

I like the colors!!
I have a question for you though--have you seen anything go bad with your HP by adding yogurt after the cook? I cant find the one I did in my notes so was just wondering

I like the colors!!
I have a question for you though--have you seen anything go bad with your HP by adding yogurt after the cook? I cant find the one I did in my notes so was just wondering
You do? Cool! Thank you :)

Nope, nothing bad noticed with yogurt, but then none of my currently curing soaps are more than 3mos old. Although I read somewhere that the high ph of soap prevents it from spoiling. Or was it the heat? Ugh.. I'll find that thread and link it, just to be sure.

The only reason this soap didn't have it was it was fluid enough for what I needed it to do. If I wanted to try swirls or layers I'd add yogurt.

I have yet to try ACV in soap, but I have used white vinegar many times. I wonder if the ACV's own unique scent added to the horrendous odor you describe (my word, not yours.) I do use ACV as a rinse on my hair sometimes, which I only recently started doing again because it used to make my scalp oily and my scalp has been so dry lately, I was hoping it would help (so far, not seeming to help). But I mention that because the ACV definitely has its own unique odor and it can take awhile for that to dissipate.

I like pink & green together, and of course blue always goes with green (blue sky, green grass), so I think that confetti looks good in your soap. I wonder if the green will remain as dark as it is, or if it will fade at all. I have not used any of those items in soap. I prefer to ingest nettle (a nice tea or soup additive), kelp (I use many types of kelp, many I harvested myself, but some store-bought) I use to thicken soup, nori I use for sushi or to give a fishy flavor to vegetarian food (is it Nori, you used or one of the thicker sharper dried kelps? Or did you use a powdered kelp? Chia seeds are another food item I have not tried in soap. I suspect it adds exfoliative properties to your soap. Have you used any of the soaps with chia seeds yet? I am wondering how scratchy it is. I read that spirulina fades, so haven't tried it in soap, either, although I do have some of course (being the health nut that I am.) I even have chloraphyll liquid and haven't tried it in soap either because I read that it fades. So I am very interested in how all this stuff you used affects the color over the long term.

I have never noticed any problems with yoghurt in my HP soap either, when adding it at the end. Although some say it really loosens up the batter to make it easier to pour, I don't really notice it making a huge difference. Does it for you?

Thanks everyone!

@Jeboz there's still about 5 lol and yes, I really was thinking of wicked witches when I was making it.

@earlene the powder came mixed. All those things are expensive individually where I am and I wouldn't use any, nor this mixed powder, in soap normally. But it's been here unopened and no one's using it as food so I gave it a try lol

I too am expecting this green to fade. Let's see how long it takes and if it keeps this shade or fades to a different green hue.

I've also never tried any exfoliants before so chia seeds are a first for me.

You're right about the ACV lending its own smell to the soap but not in the way I expected it. I also use ACV on my hair and the scent fades once my hair dries. It works for me, not as well as my new conditioner bar, but fairly well all things considering. Once my lye was added the vinegar smell turned into something else that's difficult to describe. It wasn't unpleasant at all, but sort of like a "chemically clean" smell.

The finished soap smells much better than the saponified batter, which smelled better than the melting oils when I dumped the powder in it. It's technically not horrendous now, its the next day and I just checked on it. But it's not a soap smell, not a food smell either lol it's just... A smell :p

And yes, I do notice a more fluid batter when I use yogurt. Once all my additives and hot water are added, if my soap still looks clumpy I add the yogurt. But for some recipes, it wasn't required.

For those who are interested to know how this color fades, here's an update.

This test piece has been used twice since making the soap, once right after unmolding and cutting, and once for this update. Having said that, all the other curing soaps have faded as well.
_20190518_145245.JPG

It's now more a tan than green, but has a slight greenish tinge, in person.

As for lather... It's awesome!
_20190518_145353.JPG

It's a rock hard bar, thanks I really think, to the vinegar. It also has kept trace of the original kelp smell, at least to my nose, but now after 1.5mos just smells "clean" and less "ocean."

Whoa! That's an incredible amount of fading. I went back to your original post and, just guessing here, I think it's the 25% saturated brine that leached the color out. That happened when I used faux seawater to make my last batch of Aleppo Soap. Started out a nice loden green from the laurel oil, then faded to a very light creamy tan :(. Not good.

ETA: To test my theory that saltwater or brine leaches out natural colorants, I made No Slime Castile today with 12.5% comfrey (leaves) infused in HO sunflower oil. Stay tuned. o_O

Last edited:
yes I do--I have made a bunch of the white with colors--but yours is different in a good way. I have been thinking of doing a white confetti with purple soap--just cuz I have a bunch of white left over from another soap
I actually did a white with purple. It came out great. It was the 1 and only confetti I ever did. I'll have to see if I have a pic.

I actually did a white with purple. It came out great. It was the 1 and only confetti I ever did. I'll have to see if I have a pic.

I would like to see the pics if you find them---I forgot about this and used part of the white in a yellow soap--which I really like but still have enough left for a purple with white. interesting as I have been tryin to decide what kind of soap to make next!!!

I would like to see the pics if you find them---I forgot about this and used part of the white in a yellow soap--which I really like but still have enough left for a purple with white. interesting as I have been tryin to decide what kind of soap to make next!!!

Attachments

• 20190528_083836_Film1-1.jpg
    20190528_083836_Film1-1.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 15

Latest posts

Back