Aloe Vera experiment (+spirulina overdose)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

New experiment here: effect of aloe vera in soap!

IMG_8998.jpeg

Based on this recipe:
https://thenerdyfarmwife.com/fresh-aloe-vera-soap-recipe/
Variables:
- 0 aloe
- x1 recipe amount
- x2 recipe amount

To tell them apart I also added spirulina accordingly (0, 1 & 2 tsp per 350 g of batter).

Results so far: having aloe kept the soap soft for much longer, had to wait 2 days before unmolding.

In the log mold, the x2 had pockets of liquid, not really sure of what kind, but since I still have all my fingers, I’m going to assume it’s not lye water.

Also, the medium color turned out as dark as the dark color in the log mold, not really sure why. 2 tsp is really an unnecessary amount of spirulina, for sure. the soap retained that slight vegetable/seaweed smell, which I find slightly unpleasant.

Anyway, I’ll be back in 3 months to say if I can feel a difference in the final soap!

Update! I tried them after two months.

First, the high-aloe soap started collapsing on itself! I guess that could be due to the higher water content that has now evaporated.

IMG_9569.jpeg

The green is definitely less dark.

Then, I tried washing with the no aloe and the high aloe back to back, but found no noticeable difference in feel or bubblyness.
Next step will be to try and use first one then the other continuously for a week or so to see if an effect manifests long term.

So I set out the two extremes when hosting a ton of people at home:
IMG_9583.jpeg

Everyone unambiguously preferred soap A, which is the one without aloe…
I had unintentionally rigged it against the aloe one (dark green, scentless), but to me, the moral of the story is it’s not worth it to use aloe in soap 😔
Maybe the intermediate soap is actually still ok though, will see next.

When you used x1 and x2 the recipe amount, did you decrease the water accordingly? Or did the water amount stay the same? That would make a difference to the feel of the soap.
When I use fresh aloe I use the full water amount as aloe juice ( i.e.no distilled water). I think it increases the bubbles.

ETA - maybe they didn't like the smell of the dark green one?

When you used x1 and x2 the recipe amount, did you decrease the water accordingly? Or did the water amount stay the same? That would make a difference to the feel of the soap.
When I use fresh aloe I use the full water amount as aloe juice ( i.e.no distilled water). I think it increases the bubbles.

ETA - maybe they didn't like the smell of the dark green one?
No, I just had a high water discount for the plain one. I can try again another time with full substitution if you say it makes a difference.
The green one is neutral smelling at the moment, but I specifically asked them about texture. To be fair, most of the people I know are not hyper aware of different soap textures and bubbles and such, so maybe more experienced users would provide more detailed feedback.

This is interesting. Preference can be so subjective. Did you ask the testers why they chose as they did? Color, smell, amount of lather (perceived or real) can subconsciously play a part without the testers realizing it. When I use aloe juice, it is as a full water replacement and, like @KiwiMoose, I think there are more bubbles. Or at least larger bubbles.

If you are interested, I did a very small and unscientific test using sugar, sorbitol and aloe with a few SMF members. @Mobjack Bay also did some testing and we discovered that the way people manipulate a soap makes a difference as well. I roll the soap between my hands (unless it is too big) and just assumed that other people do that too. She rubbed the soap back and forth between her hands. Rolling the soap produces more lather - who knew?

This is interesting. Preference can be so subjective. Did you ask the testers why they chose as they did? Color, smell, amount of lather (perceived or real) can subconsciously play a part without the testers realizing it. When I use aloe juice, it is as a full water replacement and, like @KiwiMoose, I think there are more bubbles. Or at least larger bubbles.

If you are interested, I did a very small and unscientific test using sugar, sorbitol and aloe with a few SMF members. @Mobjack Bay also did some testing and we discovered that the way people manipulate a soap makes a difference as well. I roll the soap between my hands (unless it is too big) and just assumed that other people do that too. She rubbed the soap back and forth between her hands. Rolling the soap produces more lather - who knew?
I think I saw that at some point, I didn’t ask how they handled the soap, but they did always also comment on the scent of the white one and how much they liked it so I wouldn’t be surprised if they were subconsciously influenced. Next time I’ll control better.

I missed that experiment. It’s fascinating to me that you roll the soap back and forth. We only know what we know and I have never thought of rolling soap. 🤯

Hi everyone!

New experiment here: effect of aloe vera in soap!

View attachment 73808

Based on this recipe:
https://thenerdyfarmwife.com/fresh-aloe-vera-soap-recipe/
Variables:
- 0 aloe
- x1 recipe amount
- x2 recipe amount

To tell them apart I also added spirulina accordingly (0, 1 & 2 tsp per 350 g of batter).

Results so far: having aloe kept the soap soft for much longer, had to wait 2 days before unmolding.

In the log mold, the x2 had pockets of liquid, not really sure of what kind, but since I still have all my fingers, I’m going to assume it’s not lye water.

Also, the medium color turned out as dark as the dark color in the log mold, not really sure why. 2 tsp is really an unnecessary amount of spirulina, for sure. the soap retained that slight vegetable/seaweed smell, which I find slightly unpleasant.

Anyway, I’ll be back in 3 months to say if I can feel a difference in the final soap!

They look beautiful! I love seeing your experiments, especially with natural colorants 😁

FWIW I decided early on that spirulina was NOT going in my soaps. The color fades far too much in a very short amount of time to justify its expense, and the smell.... 🤮 🤢 barf-o-licious is putting it mildly 😂 Ironically, I'll eat sushi & seaweed by the truckload, go figger :rolleyes:

I found a better alternative to spirulina in chlorella. The color lasts much longer, it has no stink to it, it can be used as a base to macerate essential oils in, it can be mixed with green clay to lighten it up a bit, or even other botanical colorants to custom-tweak shades of earthy greens, teals & browns.

I have not yet tested aloe in my soaps, mostly because I'm focusing on turning out larger batches of soap right now. I do love aloe in combination with other plant infusions & extracts for the skin & hair, but aloe on its own has never really wowed me, except for when I lived in a country where the aloe plants were absolutely HONKING. My friend's father cultivated them, along with incredible orchids he had growing off the sides of their coconut trees, which were absolutely beautiful.

Anyways....would love to hear more about how this aloe soap ends up turning out as far as future usage experience goes :)

Latest posts

Back