Affordable and effcient colors?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I actually considered that BUT I think I need to be a forum member for 3 months first. When that happens, I would be more than happy to do the math and organize the color co-op.

One of the things I really like about these colors, the green in particular, is that it morphs - looks green in oil then when the lye water is added, it morphs pinkish then to cadaver flesh tan and then finally back to green. Makes me feel like a mad scientist!!

debbism said:
Top row...
green; red & yellow; green at a higher concentration

Bottom row....
red plus added a little blue gardenia fruit powder and anthocyan pink' yellow; red in a very light concentration.

thoolsoaps.jpg

By debbism at 2011-10-02

I doubt I can continue using them as while they are inexpensive per-use, you have to buy in such high quantities that it becomes price prohibitive. Only 0.1g to 0.2g is needed to color 12lbs soap - (about 1-2 cents per bar in cost.) which ends up costing about 40 cents. 40 cents for 0.2 grams - BUT you have to buy a whole kilogram - YIKES I would have to sell a lot of soap to afford these and no one is selling them by the ounce yet.

I am out of luck unless I hit the lotto or become a huge conglomerate.

And whose colors are these?

Anita

Intothewoods said:
Has anyone tried this company before?

http://www.sweetcakes.com/default.php

The prices seem very reasonable, but of course I don't know if the quality will measure up.

I've only used them for FO's but I eventually want to get some colorants. If their colorants run the same quality of their FO's then I would definitely get some!

panzerakc said:
And whose colors are these?

Anita

Ha! I tried a google search and found lots of info on "stool color" but not much besides a link to this thread on "thool color". Google apparantly thought I was having a typing lisp.

Debbism love the colors of those soaps. I looked at the site but couldn't see a place to order or a price list. Am I missing something? Thanks for sharing that. Natural is always good.

They are not sold retail or on craft sizes. You have to buy a Kilogram which is very pricey. I have a rep that showed me them and I can get it through him. I am sure I have the prices somewhere but like i said, they are silly crazy for bulk even though it works out to 2 cents per bar to use. I'll have to dig out that info later today and report back

If you can let us know a price, I might be interested in buying a few from the manufacturer and reselling smaller amounts.

Well, I just put in an order for some of the gel colors from Sweet Cakes. Gulp! They have a $25 minimum order, plus shipping was $39. I really hope these are as good as they claim, that is really more than I can afford to spend comfortably right now.

If I recall correctly, they run close to $3000- $4000 per kilogram. Yikes is right. I have to find my price lists...they are buried somewhere in my supplier files.

Since you only need .1 to .2 grams of powder for 11 lbs soap oils depending on how deep you want to go, one ounce of this stuff would give you 140-283 uses, thererfor coloring about 1600-3200 lbs of soap.

So a kilo would color 56,000 to 112,000 lbs of soap - that is why a kilo is so expensive.

It sounds very odd, needing so little to color soap but is DOES work. Each time we use it, we get nervous since the colors morph and change but each time we unmold, the colors set in beautifully. Now, I cannot vouch for what happens if you skip the gel phase since we have never used these without gelling. I'd do a test but as I have very little left of this stuff, I am saving it until i can afford to re-up or figure out a group buy.

Whoa, I would love to have some but that is so way out of my range for hobby soap makiing. Thanks fo rsharing though. I love the colors.

It's a shame that one has to purchase that much - low per use price but the minimum purchase is just silly.

Hopefully, I will be able to organize a co op buy soon and maybe we can break it down into more affordable quantities so we all can afford it.

Latest posts

Back