Adding things

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michael_schaap

Reaction score
I was wondering.... looking at the soap calculator I noticed something. They just list the oils.... does this mean that you are free to add things.

For instance.... I have a basic recipe that I am going to make tomorrow and would like to add some Aloe from an Aloe plant and ground up Oatmeal.

How do you know how much additives to add? Also what is the difference between adding it when you make the soap and adding it when you grind up the basic soap and re-batch it?

Michael

I can't answer about the Aloe because I have yet to try it....but with Oatmeal it depends on how much soap you are making....but also some people like more scrubbiness than others...so you would have to take that in to consideration. But I think I have one recipe for approximately 2 lbs of soap and use 1 TBSP of ground oatmeal per pound (so for that particular batch would use 2 TBSP).

And you don't necessarily have to rebatch...I usually only rebatch if I totally screw up as I really hate it....but it would be about the same amount of oatmeal.

That's the same amount of oatmeal I use. I grind it up in the food processor some first so it isn't quite so scrubby, but you can still see it in the soap. Cuts well that way, too. Don't know about aloe either, but if you're talking about using gel from an actual plant, how much do you want to add? I'm guessing a tablespoon or 2 might be OK, but I wonder if any of the properties of the aloe survive the lye. I know some people use aloe juice as their liquid in place of the water. There's a debate about whether that adds anything, too. Keep us posted on your outcome. Always like to hear new things.

Latest posts

Back