Adding cosmetics Skin supplements

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex72

Reaction score
Hello , may be is strange questions but , What kind of Skin supplements You add in yours soup .
I saw ingredients in some soaps like Linalool and Geraniol which are primary component of same oils. but are added separately.
Are you add any supplements, which and why?
And and if we add them , do we lose the idea of natural product which we looking for ?

Last edited:
Linalool and the other are components of EO and FO. Adding skin supplements (not sure what you may want to be adding) will likely not survive the lye.

Linalool and the other are components of EO and FO. Adding skin supplements (not sure what you may want to be adding) will likely not survive the lye.

Because of this my question is coming .
may be adding more is more likely to survive or .. ?

It depends on what you are adding. Some ingredients break down in a high pH environment, that’s something that cannot be changed.

For a more precise answer: what ingredients are you hoping to use? If we know what question you’re asking we will know how to answer. The answers for lemon juice, vitamin e, and snail slime are all different but are all ingredients that get used

I was hoping someone to share best practice.
Which supplements how can be added.

Bear in mind that soap is a wash off product, so most additives have little to no effect. Some change how the soap feels, few will change how the soap has any meaningful impact on your skin due to the amount used per wash and the amount of time that the soap is on the skin for

I'm totally agree with you.
Because of this I start to wondering what kind of supplements we can add to make a skin filing beater and is there any idea to add additional quantity if they are primary component of same oils.
As BattleGnome said if add Linalool is unlikely to survive after saponification.
Why a loot of people add them and is there any idea on this.
And decide to ask what kind of skin supplements others add and what is a point.

Some people put all sorts of crap in their soap and then "Claim" that it give super human strength or Miracle cure.
Soap is a wash off product, nothing is on there long enough to do much, and that is IF it survived the Lye in the mixture.

Skin supplements/skin benefitial ingredients don't work too well in the first place. Think anti-wrinkle cream. Nobody gets less wrinkles, and it's a leave-on product, not a wash-off. And hand creams, do they work? No, your hands will get even dryer. Body lotion? Those who use such things constantantly complains about dry skin, so the body lotion does apparently not repair anything.

What about soap? My hands got a lot better switching from store bought liquid soap to handmade bar soap. And I have not added any skin benefits to the soap, only relatively high superfatting. But my hands improved, and I think it is not because my handmade soaps contain something that is good for the skin. I think it is because the store bought liquid soap contains something that is bad for the skin. And when that irritant was removed, my hands healed. Or maybe it is because liquid soap usually contains no superfat, and my soaps have lots of superfat? I have no idea.

If anything can be benefitial, I think a high superfat can be good for the skin. It is questionable, some say it just washes straight down the drain (which makes sense since soap washes fat away), other say it makes the soap less stripping, and some say it will moisturise your skin. I like to believe that that it does something good. I think it makes the soap less stripping. But I really don't know, and I have not made enough soap to compare.

If a skin benefitial ingredient should be added to soap, I believe it then has to be a very, very strong one, since most of it, if not all, will end up in the sink. So it must be so strong that it can do its magic even in trace amounts. And if the soap has a high cleansing value, for example is high in coconut oil, it will definately wash everything away and can make your skin feeling dry. So a low cleansing value and a high superfat will make a mild bar of soap, and a mild bar of soap can be benefitial to the skin. But remember that the superfat thing is controversial. So it is just my personal belief.

Selling soap with papaya in it is quite common in some parts of the world. I believe the idea is that is helps lighten the skin, or some such. I don't know what else it supposedly does. But I thought I'd try it since I love to eat papaya and had some on hand. I have also used avocado in soap, tomato in soap, aloe in soap, etc. These are sometimes sold with claims of special properties available to the skin when used in soap. In my opinion, they provide no additional benefit. But I used them anyway to see how the soap would turn out.

My skin likes my soap, though, and it doesn't seem to matter if it's plain with no added stuff or if it's got herbs, spices, vegetables or fruits added. The only times I felt that the soap was extra special was the time I gathered rose petals from our rose bush out back, dried them, then infused them in oil, and used that rose-infused oil in some soap. Even though I felt as though this was extra special soap, I do truly believe my personal knowledge of how I made this soap convinced me it was 'better' and that my mind was biased by the effort I put into making the soap. So I believe it's all about 'label appeal' and not actual benefits.

Latest posts

Back