Quantcast

Activated charcoal

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

Guspuppy

Reaction score
What is the difference between simply coloring a soap with AC, and an ‘activated charcoal soap’? Is there some ..... benefit to a higher percentage of AC as opposed to simply coloring, or am I missing something somewhere?

ilonaliss

Reaction score
I don't think AC in soap stays on the skin long enough to have any real benefit but I may be wrong!

Jersey Girl

Supporting Member
Reaction score

KiwiMoose

Supporting Member
Reaction score
People who know and use activated charcoal as part of their skincare regime will seek it out in products. Otherwise I just use it as a colourant. It lasts forever - a little goes a long way!

ilonaliss

Reaction score
I agree with @TashaBird re it being a bit drying. I also think that many people like AC for its mildly exfoliating properties, which can improve skin texture.

cmzaha

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to make a charcoal facial bar that was low in CO, high in Shea Butter, and high in Activated charcoal, which was a very popular selling soap for me. I also made a Charcoal Soleseif Soap that was popular. For other soaps I used AC for coloring. When making Charcoal soaps I did not use a little AC I use a lot.

Arimara

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think AC in soap stays on the skin long enough to have any real benefit but I may be wrong!
AC, like clays, don't need to be on your skin for long to do something. It also tends to dry my skin out more than soaps without it.

A Vampire

Reaction score
I think some people like coloring with activated charcoal versus mica because it's "more natural" and has some skin benefits for acne prone folks like myself. Activated charcoal was the only additive in my acne bars and I do think it helped keep my face clear. It is a bit drying, but that's slightly less of a concern for us oily people.

violets2217

Reaction score
I use AC as a colorant and also make a facial bar with rice milk or sometime coconut milk and I usually add in some confetti soap I really like that I think helps the soap be less drying. I love my AC soap!

Guspuppy

Reaction score
Thank you everyone!! I have been super busy and not online much since posting this question. I very much appreciate all the answers!

Latest posts