How much activated charcoal

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For a good pure black how much activated charcoal should I use?
It is better to add in some black mica if you want pure black because you almost cannot add in enough AC to acquire pure black. I am not saying it is not possible but black mica will really up the black and less possibly of very dark grey suds. For years I used AC exclusively until I discovered adding in mica or as Zing mentioned Black Oxide. My favorite was mica. To answer your question it will take tablespoons, not teaspoons and you need to dissolve it before adding to your soap batter or your soap will be gritty. Also, your initial batter will need to be much blacker because your soaps will dry several shades lighter than your wet batter.

I will add in unlike many say I never had problems with the gray bubbles staining, but I did add warning labels to my soaps about setting the soaps on sinks directly with a dish. This warning went on all my colored handmade soaps.

I recently used two tablespoons charcoal to 1kg of oils ( approx1 tablespoon per pound):
IMG_7030.jpg

I didn't do pure black but did as KiwiMoose mentioned and added it to my oil I reserved for superfatting on Hot Process. (I'm making trial recipes atm thus HP so I can test it sooner.) I used AC at 1 tsp/PPO ratio. And yes, grey lather but it easily rinsed off. I will try the black mica as suggested in the future for a deeper black. @cmzaha Does this rinse off easily too?

Latest posts

Back